I need a winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I personally have the wsi mount and plate for the whelens. I am very happy with it. It was a bit involved to mount but was a weekend work item.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warn is great and those that use winches often, like dedicated Rock Crawlers warrant having them for straight up pulls, waterfalls and roll over recovery. having said that, your Raptor which is a VERY capable truck but not a rock crawler, needs a winch that will probably not be used very often. Because its a truck and you have plenty of space to store it on an off road trip, You can use a portable winch. I have a receiver in front and rear with power plugs to get power to it. You can use the remote control that makes it much easier. The driver should be handling both jobs of driving and winching with a spotter. recovery should usually be done as your experience was and that with preferably someone else with a winch is actually doing the work and your truck needs recovery hooks which is more important. More of my winching is exactly situations like you described happened to you.
I don't think your going to be taking your truck over huge bolders and waterfalls. If you do then you need to get something else to rock crawl with.
I use an old 10K lb Ramsey as my portable that I have had for Many years. Never has failed yet in the total of 4 winch needs during it's life. I have had Warn's also but not necessary for a VERY limited use. Only thing I will say is that speed of cable plays a big roll also in winch purchase. Faster is nice only when you are retrieving the cable. Makes no difference in what you are pulling cause it should be slow and smooth anyway. The Smittybilt is a good winch for the money. Because it would be portable it will not be in the elements like one that is there full time. makes a difference.
I hope my experience will help your decision making.
Mil T

Back in the day at Moab. 2003
rustynail2.jpg

moabfallfling03.jpg

Last edited:

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think you could fit WSI lights or Rigid Dually lights on either side of the mount?

I dont have aftermarket lights of any type, but I could take some rough measurements of the opening.

Here's a pic of the SDHQ mount with lights. The Rough country plate has at lesat the same amount of space.

Attachments

• raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the SDHQ mount. It's beefy as hell. Pretty easy install no cutting required and only need to drill two holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score