I Have an Unusual Issue (Big Shock, I know!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went to drop my spare for the first time and was planning on lubing the cable. I only thought about it because when I went to lower the spare on my beater '05 Silverado it was rusted like it had been sitting in the surf at the beach for years. That one I'm going to have to cut it loose and replace the assembly.

When I removed the key plug from the bumper on the Raptor, there is no guide tube there! Nothing. I have not been able to figure out what angle, or how far the attachment point is, that the handle needs to go in, so I can lower the wheel and replace the guide tube and lube the cable. It looks like it's only an inexpensive piece, but I still need to get the wheel down to be able to install it. Any info appreciated, unless it's someone making a rude goat joke!

Last edited:

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember doing this once when I kept my spare in the rotation. It is a bit frustrating, and as I recall, there is a bit of an angle to it. I ended up sighting through the hole with a flashlight until I could see the target, and then trial and error from there.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rod goes in at about 11 o’clock and probably a 2* angle up. As mentioned, put a fl(e)sh light in there to see better.

You’re looking for a white plastic funnel.

I sprayed the sheet out of mine with Fluid Film.

I had the spare come off my Sierra once cuz of the rust. Lucky it was slow and in my neighborhood.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, I got it down. I ended up putting a bright headlamp on and with what you guys said and sighting from under the truck and dicking around with the handle at the same time I got the rod in. It's tough with no plastic guide tube! It will be much easier to take it back down when I get the tube now that I know the angle and how far in it is. I left it go on my other truck and its way beyond help. Thankfully a complete replacement with a good quality new one is only about $60. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Something I learned tonight was that if you never dropped your spare, don't wait until it's dark and raining to try to figure this one out. It was enough of a pain in my garage! I keep a silicone cover on my fob, works well except for being a bitch to get off and on. But what if you need to drop your spare tire? Now you need the key that is inside your fob! I never thought about the fact that I got a spare key for this when I bought the truck. I had forgotten all about the flat metal spare key that came with the manuals. I had it in the house in my safe where it would do me a lot of good when I needed it! :banghead: I never really thought about it. Now I put it in my truck in the bottom of my gun safe. I lubed up the cable really good with Bel-Ray waterproof bearing grease. It seemed to work well, and I know it holds up good. I put 60 lbs in the tire while it was down.

Thanks again. Between what you guys told me, and I also found a YouTube video I was at least able to figure pretty close what the angle needed to be to get it in. :favorites13:

1678412656428.jpeg

Last edited:

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up putting a bright headlamp on and with what you guys said and sighting from under and dicking around with the handle at the same time I got the rod in. It's tough with no plastic guide tube! It will be much easier to take it back down when I get the tube now that I know the angle and how far in it is.
Ever so sleight two word edit (clip) and this is on par with every one of your other posts... ROFLMAO!