I called it a head unit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean Michael

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First post- on my 3rd Raptor -Currently a 2021. Was curious if anyone out there went or is going through this. About a week ago, my radio screen starting going off and on as if trying to reboot the system. Truck was still drivable. Took to the dealer to see what's going on. They tried updates and tried to figure it. They came up with a screen issue, after new screen install /still same problem. They have finally ordered a new head unit ( I was corrected when calling it a head unit it is a " accessory protocol interface module"...apim for short. ) I guess I was showing my age!
Just checking to see if anyone else had run across this.
Thanks for the anticipate feedback!

j3ff

Reaction score
yes; unfortunately mine is doing the same thing and i will likely end up having to go the same route; tried the updates, etc... for reference, i have a 2018 - same tech though, i believe.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I saw a youtube video with gears and gadgets he had a similiar problem with the screen on his 21 powerboost. Lets hope its not widespread. Only have ~400 miles on my 22' we shall see. Part of the reason I went with a 100K 7yr Flood Ford ESP just for electronics fears...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As you found out, there is no "head unit" anymore. The control interface (buttons) are separate from the screen unit, the screen unit is separate from the APIM, the APIM is separate from the Audio Control Module (ACM), the list goes on. The majority of infotainment issues are related to the device that is paired to the system; did the issue still occur without any devices paired?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes; unfortunately mine is doing the same thing and i will likely end up having to go the same route; tried the updates, etc... for reference, i have a 2018 - same tech though, i believe.
2021 is Sync 4, different system. Have you tried a Master Reset?

OP
OP
D

Dean Michael

Reaction score
As you found out, there is no "head unit" anymore. The control interface (buttons) are separate from the screen unit, the screen unit is separate from the APIM, the APIM is separate from the Audio Control Module (ACM), the list goes on. The majority of infotainment issues are related to the device that is paired to the system; did the issue still occur without any devices paired?
It did ! I thought the same thing.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,
First post- on my 3rd Raptor -Currently a 2021. Was curious if anyone out there went or is going through this. About a week ago, my radio screen starting going off and on as if trying to reboot the system. Truck was still drivable. Took to the dealer to see what's going on. They tried updates and tried to figure it. They came up with a screen issue, after new screen install /still same problem. They have finally ordered a new head unit ( I was corrected when calling it a head unit it is a " accessory protocol interface module"...apim for short. ) I guess I was showing my age!
Just checking to see if anyone else had run across this.
Thanks for the anticipate feedback!

yeah...the old school "head unit" is 4 or 5 modules scattered throughout the truck. It is just a monitor at this point.