I apologize to all the i70 drivers I offended bombing across Missouri yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get down to it, the reality is is that most of these left lane campers feel like they have the right or the moral obligation to sit in the left lane and try and stop other people from Driving faster than they feel like themselves driving. In fact, they have no such right. And, if you look deeper I bet that eight out of every 10 wrecks where somebody’s intestines had to be scraped off the highway, the ultimate cause was a left lane camper driving the speed limit in the passing lane.

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 25 years ago in traffic school :anitoof: I was told there are 3 ‘types’ of drivers.

1. Immature: Driving way too fast and recklessly.
2. Adult: Typically trying to control others by camping out in passing (left) lane etc
3. Mature: Typically obeying traffic laws for speed and stop lights etc. Not engaging in road rage etc.

Obviously generic and non specific and some be in all three categories in a single day (insert joke here).

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I usually go fast enough that people wanting to go faster isn't an issue, but every once in a while I do see a vehicle coming up behind me. As long as that car doesn't immediately start riding my ass, I move over when there's an adequate gap in the lane to my right. If they do start aggressively riding my ass before even allowing me the opportunity to move over, they can kiss my ass. I'll leave it to them to find that gap and make the pass.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great spot for this.

This one has a cop in it talking about the issue. Timecode goes right to it.

FHP put out a video—and I'm sure a ton of other state highway patrols have as well—saying that you're only supposed to be passing in the left lane, otherwise get out of it. Let them deal with speeders because it's more unsafe to block them in.

Most of you are only thinking of this in terms of two people. The left lane loser and the guy trying to speed. Well guess what? There are other people on the road. And when you block up someone behind you, and they get angry and pull some stupid move to get around you because you think you're morally right, they hit someone else and maybe take you out too. That third person is COMPLETELY innocent. And they would've been fine if the lane was clear for the idiot to go on his way.

Most of my logged miles are on interstates. And one of them is the most deadly interstate in the country. And most of the ones topping the list are in my state. The deadlier road has an ungodly amount of people clogging the left lane. You would not even believe it. I've seen people going 10 under in there with empty lanes next to them—that they should be in.

Speed kills, but I would argue that it's rarely the cause of the accident.

There is a MAJOR difference between traveling at those speeds on a controlled racetrack and on an uncontrolled road with people who may be tired and do something stupid in front of you.

The short of it it, be predictable on the road. Traveling at extremely high rates of speed is not predictable and someone pulling out, a tire blowing (Whether yours or someone else’s) can be catastrophic not just for you but for someone else.

While I totally agree about people going ridiculous speeds and the need to be more cautious when other drivers are present, I've seen people going near or at the speed limit (usually 70 here) with people just trailing them 50 cars deep. For this to be a problem, you only need to be going 71. I go on two roadtrips a year. I set my cruise to 75, and I stay in the middle lane. I've been behind people that have refused to get out of the way quite frequently. I'm not running up on people or tailgating them. I'm trying to pass safely. This issue isn't just about someone going the speed limit and someone trying to set a land speed record.

You can make the argument all day long that people shouldn’t be driving in the left hand lane. But as was said earlier, it takes an extremely high level of entitlement to think that driving at those rates of speed on a public road around other people who are both not anticipating your high rate of speed and are not trained or practiced in dealing with what can go wrong is safe.

Conversely, I was taught how to drive properly and predictably. I expect that people in the left lane are passing. If you're driving there with the cruise control set to the speed limit and not even looking around you as other people are swerving around you when the right lane is free, you are the one doing it wrong and being unpredictable. (Obviously not directed at you personally)

Going fast isn’t the problem. Stopping is. I’m not here to criticize OP for going fast. I’m pointing out that this truck is capable of possibly keeping you alive but it will absolutely demolish somebody else. Want to know what’s worse than dying in a car accident? Locked in syndrome. Being fed through a hole in your stomach the rest of your life and breathing through a hole in your neck on a ventilator forever. Because even if the truck will keep that from happening to you, it can and has absolutely done it to someone else. The road is not a racetrack.

Definitely a valid point that everyone should always be considering.

Throw your hate some where else. All I did was say you can't complain about someone illegally driving in the left lane when you are illegally going over the speed limit. That is hypocrisy. You can talk about driving etiquette or what have you all you want, and you'd be right, but not in a legal sense. And no where did I say that I'm personally camping out in the left lane driving the speed limit, because I'm not.

There are degrees to illegality. Stealing a paperclip isn't as big of a crime as stealing a car for example. Left lane losers cause accidents, that's why you'll constantly see "Slower traffic keep right" everywhere if you're paying attention. And again, what about the scenario that I've seen quite often? The speed limit here is mainly 70. I've seen people going 65 in the left lane holding up people who have been traveling at 70. No matter what speed you're going, if you're not passing someone and you can get over, you should be in the middle lane if there's 3 and the right lane if there's 2.

And while I'm at it, it's also illegal in Florida for you to use your hazard lights in the rain. That's not what they're for. They make it harder for the people who aren't stupid to see and drive around you. I don't know who teaches people that crap, but stop it. You're a distraction. If you can't see, get off the road and wait it out.

I usually go fast enough that people wanting to go faster isn't an issue, but every once in a while I do see a vehicle coming up behind me. As long as that car doesn't immediately start riding my ass, I move over when there's an adequate gap in the lane to my right. If they do start aggressively riding my ass before even allowing me the opportunity to move over, they can kiss my ass. I'll leave it to them to find that gap and make the pass.

Fair enough. People need to still exercise patience. If it's open to the right, I'll just think you're an idiot and I'll approach and if you're not paying attention, I'll pass in the middle. But I'll wait back there for a moment, but never close.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a soccer tournament in Overland Park Kansas this weekend, and we finished our last game at 5:00pm Sunday.

I did not want to get home at 10pm, so we headed out. Don't think I ever dropped below 93 for very long. Passed a few Raptors even, and one guy pulling a nice trailer.

My daughter at one point asked "how fast is your truck" to witch I replied "only 100, or my tires will blow up" ..."but we can get to 100 very quickly"

I don't care if you are doing 80 or 90....if someone is on your ass wanting to go faster...get out of the left lane. Making people pass you on the right is where dangers happen.

Yeah, I know the speed limit is 70, and anything past 85 is really not needed.

Did 265 miles in just over 3 hours.

I 100% agree with you. My daughter had a volleyball tournament about 2 hours from where I live and the drive home was painful. My trip was much earlier in the day on Sunday and the traffic was really light, but the number of people driving in the high speed lane holding up traffic for no reason and forcing ten or more cars to try and get around them on the right was maddening!!!!! The rules of the road are not that hard to understand!!!!!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who are these people riding in the left lane exactly?

I look over and I see people whom most likely are either busy doing something, or are self centered and have no respect for the rules of the road.

******* Prius and honda CRVs

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To no one in particular:

I have a roughly 20 minute drive to work. Given the state of roads and driving I’m generally pleased if I arrive without vehicle damage. 50%+ of the time I make that drive I see a crash site. Sometimes multiples. For most of us driving is the most dangerous activity we engage in daily. The shame of it is too many people lose focus on the fact that in the other car is a human being with their own life and dreams and problems. Most of them even cogent at times.

I ride motorcycles quite a bit (attgatt) and we call people driving cars/trucks ‘cagers’ which is a reference to the fact they drive around surrounded by a protective ‘cage’. While on 2 wheels we do not. You should take a minute and head on over to advrider.com ( no affiliation except I post there as I do here ) and read stories in the Faceplant section that will make your blood curdle and recage your gyros. You think the bitching about traffic here is noteworthy you’ll quickly realize how coddled we are in these badass trucks vs a motorcyclist. Try being ‘invisible’ while on a two way road. Man oh man.

Partly I’m saying it’s your point of view. Always check your attitude at the door and stay big picture. And do it with a smile on your face (yes I know that might be a bridge too far given the reality of the roads) but hell maybe it helps.

I hope the above not totally worthless to the audience. And btw SCABS rule. :bowroflwerd6:

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great spot for this.

Didn't see anything I disagreed with in that video for the most part. Thought it was somewhat humorous that he repeatedly mentioned that he was not speeding. Somewhat hard to believe that no one is speeding in Toledo. Where I'm at, most are going around 10 mph over.

Didn't watch the second as it's blocked at work.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are these people riding in the left lane exactly?

I look over and I see people whom most likely are either busy doing something, or are self centered and have no respect for the rules of the road.

******* Prius and honda CRVs

Yep… The ******* Prius people are the worst! A disgraceful second place mention goes to idiots driving Honda fits and Subaru Forrester‘s…complete *********!

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throw your hate some where else. All I did was say you can't complain about someone illegally driving in the left lane when you are illegally going over the speed limit. That is hypocrisy. You can talk about driving etiquette or what have you all you want, and you'd be right, but not in a legal sense. And no where did I say that I'm personally camping out in the left lane driving the speed limit, because I'm not.

We’re not arguing in a court of law in case you haven’t noticed. Be considerate enough to move the F over ASAP when someone comes up on your ass in the left lane. I’d do that for you, it’s not much to ask the same in return.