I’m an idiot. Now my truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the normal life of a battery in the Gen2's?
Actually I think WHERE you live has a huge influence on battery life. My northern family members get several more years out of their vehicle battery than I do down south that’s for sure.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Running a non-deep cycle battery down even once can kill it. It's not always just a matter of charging it back up as you saw.

I'd recommend trying to avoid making sparks around batteries that are full of acid and venting hydogen as they are being charged. I've seen the aftermath of batteries exploding- it's really bad.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had one exploded in my garage years ago.
Sent it back to Interstate so they could investigate, but never heard why.
Spark from the garage door opener opening must have lit hydrogen from it.
There were some fluorescent bulbs near it that got blasted when it went boom.
All the broken glass, plastic battery casing, and battery acid made a heck of a mess.
Luckily it didn't get my Expedition parked nearby back then.
Did do a number on the side of the Kennedy tool box's paint close by.
Took me a little bit to figure out what even happened.
I was outside the garage and used the opener control outside the door.
Heard boom as the door started raising.
Saw the mess once inside.
Initially thought the bulbs just exploded from temperature or something, it was winter.
Then started seeing all the plastic and acid as I was sweeping up.
Could see the direction and trajectory then put things together.
VERY glad no-one was near when it happened.
Heard that it could have been a pair of plates dislodged and shorted inside battery causing hydrogen discharge.
Then it made a cloud large enough to reach the spark from the door opener's electric motor.
Not 100% sure, but best I could figure after all these years.
it was a MESS !!
Used to have some pictures (sent those to Interstate too) but won't ever be able to find them.

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by an old timer that when it does happen, battery's blow up ⬆️, avoid being directly above it if possible, and wear safety glasses whenever messin around with those things

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The one I saw blew the top off, and the schrapnel and acid mostly went up. I do stand to the side when working on them.