I’m a Believer - Best $139 spent!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, I would have installed it sooner but I was dreading it after seeing the pictures of people hacking up their covers and still struggling to do the install. I'll report what it collects in a couple thousand miles.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put mine in a few days ago, engine cover was and will be no problem as I'd removed it a few days after getting the truck. I prefer my engines to not 'heat soak' so I pulled it to allow better cooling after shutdown. Only a few hundred miles so far, so I haven't opened it up yet. But taking a road trip to view the upcoming lunar eclipse, so that will be a few thousand miles I'm sure, so I can report back after that. I will say after ~5600 miles there was just the smallest trace of oil residue in the PCV piping, and most of it seemed to be on the end closest to the intake rather than the end closest to the PCV valve, which I found a bit surprising.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not really, I just rotated the fitting on the right to point towards the back and the one on the left to the front as in the pictures. Once I did that, I had to try a few different hose positions to get the cover to slide into place. What worked for me was focusing first on just getting the cover to slide under the catch can and then moving it into place while making sure to position the hoses under it at the same time.
You couldn’t bolt down both screws on the cover could you? I had to slightly cut the back left of my engine cover and leave my front right screw undone. There was 0 chance I was getting that screw down with how the hoses connected to the motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliebrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched the CJ video and I get what the product does. I had a similar issues with my ‘02 HD F150 with 5.4L blown Lightning engine. With that engine the oil blow by would coat the inter cooler.

I also get that with direct injection the intake valves get gunked up. However, I thought the new Ecoboost engines have both direct and port injection which would keep the valves relatively clean.

Admittedly, I don’t have much experience with these new engines. What are you thoughts?

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically you are correct in that the new eco boost has both direct and port injection which does decrease some of the intake gunk. I think the big issue is that we haven’t seen any real research that proves catch cans will completely resolve the intake carbon deposits. But anecdotally, I’ve run catch cans on all my turbo motors and I’ve definitely seen what they accumulate and there is no way that crap is “ok” to circulate back through the motor. Small investment for potential big return on investment in my opinion. Just ordered my JLT can yesterday.

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You couldn’t bolt down both screws on the cover could you? I had to slightly cut the back left of my engine cover and leave my front right screw undone. There was 0 chance I was getting that screw down with how the hoses connected to the motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had no issues getting both nuts onto the bolts to hold the cover down with where I ran the hoses. Unless someone has a valid reason you can't run them where I did (heat maybe), I'd suggest trying to reroute the hoses and have them come in at the same place like in my photos.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really, I just rotated the fitting on the right to point towards the back and the one on the left to the front as in the pictures. Once I did that, I had to try a few different hose positions to get the cover to slide into place. What worked for me was focusing first on just getting the cover to slide under the catch can and then moving it into place while making sure to position the hoses under it at the same time.

So is the engine cover screwed down on both sides? I had to leave the passenger side screw off.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no issues getting both nuts onto the bolts to hold the cover down with where I ran the hoses. Unless someone has a valid reason you can't run them where I did (heat maybe), I'd suggest trying to reroute the hoses and have them come in at the same place like in my photos.
Sorry missed the post or it crossed with mine. Appreciate if you could take a pic with the cover off, showing your hose placement.