HVAC not so powerful? And other complaints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the heating and A/C is just not that powerful on their Gen3?

1. Even cranked up to "HI" temperature and max fan speed, the air is more like "very warm" than hot, and it's not blowing that fast. Both in temperature and in speed it feels like it's set one notch below what I'd expect the maximum to be. In contrast - my Porsche will burn you if you hold your hand in front of the vent on max/Hi.
2. The auto climate control is not very aggressive. In my old Gen2 I generally left it at 70 and it worked fine. In the Gen3 I have to crank it up to 78 if I want it to warm - down to 65 if I want it cool. Yes, I do have the auto fan speed limit set to max. It just doesn't try very hard to reach the set temperature.
3. The vents don't seem balanced, there is more air coming out of the center vents than the side vents.
4. Very little airflow and heat/cold reaches the rear seats.

I don't remember these issues on the Gen2. Anyone else noticed something similar? I like driving trucks because they usually have pretty robust HVAC - this one is just adequate. The weather here has been pretty mild since I got the truck two months ago - I'm a little concerned about what it will be like when I take into actual hot/cold weather.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don't have the same air flow out of dash vents equally, then you should take it back to the dealer, there maybe a damper problem. Have you tried it on recirc to see if it heats up the cabin quicker?

OP
OP
A

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_0004.jpgAfter playing around with it a bit today - maybe the airflow from the far left vent just seems to be lesser because the turn signal stalk and steering wheel sort of block it from reaching my face.

I used my FLIR sensor to measure the temperature coming from the center-left vent at HI and fan speed 7. Looks like about 168F. I guess I can't expect any more than that...but next time I get in the Porsche I'll measure that too, I bet it's hotter.

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you probably need to try a few different adjustments on the vents & may help, I didn’t even realize that turning some of the vents one direction was partially closing them (left to right) in my gen2s initially I thought it was purely directional. My GM trucks did seem to have stronger heating & I have had 2xGen2’s & HVAC seemed similar in both. Sometimes seems like it takes a bit to get going but always cranks eventually

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 333121After playing around with it a bit today - maybe the airflow from the far left vent just seems to be lesser because the turn signal stalk and steering wheel sort of block it from reaching my face.

I used my FLIR sensor to measure the temperature coming from the center-left vent at HI and fan speed 7. Looks like about 168F. I guess I can't expect any more than that...but next time I get in the Porsche I'll measure that too, I bet it's hotter.
If you lower the fan speed with the temp on high, it will be hotter. Less air across the heater core will make it hotter coming out of the vents. It takes time to heat up the whole cab.

NWAnik

Reaction score
I am having the same concern on mine. I usually could set my vehicles at 70 and they would aggressively heat or cool in winter / summer. Seems like when the car is hot even the highest fan speed it’s just taking it’s sweet time.

fg3

Reaction score
The auto climate control in the Gen 14 trucks sucks. I had the same issues in my 2021 King Ranch Powerboost. The climate control in my 2016 and 2018 F150s worked MUCH better, as in I could 'set it and forget it'.