HVAC fan weak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not the way it works. If you increase fan volume the temp of air will rise. There are only so many BTU’s available. There are other variables like compressor Hp and exchanger area. Its doubtful you will get increased cooling with more air flow. All you will get is more air that’s warmer resulting in the same amount of cooling.
Sure, but you're missing the point. Whether the issue is that the fan is under-sized, under-utilized or whether the whole system is undersized - the cooling capacity is lower than it should be and the whole system feels weak, particularly given the large cabin volume.

If we're lucky - the system is sized just fine (Ford has been designing F-150s for decades, they should know what capacity is required) and the programming of the fan just needs to be adjusted?

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sons ‘21 bronco sport has 10 times the power, fan, cold air than my ‘20 raptor. I thought something was wrong at first also but realized it’s just a BAD air conditioning design/function. Kinda embarrassing when people will ride with me at and ask “is the air on?” And I say “yes it is, just doesn’t feel like it”

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would check the heater core. Maybe the valve that shuts off the coolant flow to the heater core is not sealing. You could probably just grab the hoses and see if they get warm with the engine.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, but you're missing the point. Whether the issue is that the fan is under-sized, under-utilized or whether the whole system is undersized - the cooling capacity is lower than it should be and the whole system feels weak, particularly given the large cabin volume.

If we're lucky - the system is sized just fine (Ford has been designing F-150s for decades, they should know what capacity is required) and the programming of the fan just needs to be adjusted?
Actually New Recaros is right on. Max cool is only good for a quick cool, not a deep cool.

Keeping the temp control and fan speed in the middle will result in a cooler interior.

Common forum knowledge tells us to only use the dash vents for cooling, otherwise the AC gets overwhelmed.

Try sitting in the back seats:). Very warm…

Absolutely correct that the Raptor has anemic AC.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, with FL heat kicking in...I just noticed the driver side left vent is barely flowing... the passenger right bent flows more air.

Wondering if something is wrong with the ducting.

Interior gets pretty cold... so no complaints about temps... but flow rate is disappointing on the driver side left vent.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, with FL heat kicking in...I just noticed the driver side left vent is barely flowing... the passenger right bent flows more air.

Wondering if something is wrong with the ducting.

Interior gets pretty cold... so no complaints about temps... but flow rate is disappointing on the driver side left vent.
My driver side left vent seems weaker as well. Haven’t checked the passenger vent yet. I’m more disappointed in the rear vents

ThankU45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, air flow feels weak on the driver side. And I live in New England - felt this on a 80 degree day.

Klay23

Reaction score
Well damn. It’s 140 degrees here in the summer. One more thing to check when my order finishes building and gets delivered soon hopefully.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver side left vent seems weaker as well. Haven’t checked the passenger vent yet. I’m more disappointed in the rear vents
Oh!!! Yes!!! In order to get the rear to flow, you have to max out the fans which is uncomfortable for the front passengers. And yet it doesn't flow much.

I was surprised there was no separate fan control for the rear seeing how large the rear is!!