Hub bearing failure - ruined axle - Upgrade to RCV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having issues with noise and vibration coming from the left front end that went away when I engaged the 4x4, so I was thinking it was an IWE issue on the drivers side. I tore into it today and found that it wasn't the IWE (although that is all messed up too now), but that the wheel bearing had seized.

The bearings in the front hub that the axle rides on, failed. They disintegrated. heck I didn't even realize there was supposed to be a roller bearing in there until I looked at pics of a new one.

so, that ruined the axle as well since it chewed it up and the OD is reduced. I was worried, so I tore the passenger side apart and it was seized up too. had to actually pry the axle out of the hub with a crow bar.

so, now I have a vehicle on jack stands all torn up needing new parts. I was planning on getting the Timken sn550222 hub bearing assembly for $180 each rather than the OEM hub bearing assembly which is around $300 plus.

now the real questions is, do I up grade to the RCV axles or stick with the OEM ones? the OEM are $450 ish and well, you all know the cost of the RCV.

I live in FL and having had any issues with the stock axles as far as strength goes, but I do like to upgrade when I can. I do mostly street driving except at the range and hunting. But the truck runs on the mid perch and I do have 37s on the factory wheels.

what else am I getting with the RCVs? is it worth the upgrade or am I just wasting money?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same happened to mine on one side from water intrusion. I sunk the passenger side front in a swamp and had to wait about an hour for extraction.. Took some time to fail but sounded like driving on rumbe strips

I wouldn't buy rcvs unless I was installing a rpg bolt kit

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look in the general section and read the thread about RCVs on a daily.

Cliff notes, don't, as it seems to hurt the bearings more. But read and form your own opinion

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score