How to tell if ceramic coated.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigsakius

Reaction score
I am curious, I bought my truck used and the salesman mentioned the previous owner ceramic coated it. I am a bit skeptical but was wondering how we could tell. I am attaching some pictures. Also I noticed water marks on the hood too is there a way to take these out? Thanks again

F5551D38-6681-4B6F-B165-66A5495AA368.jpeg

68538B35-607D-47E0-B916-FD546A764175.jpeg

FA31C608-92D4-4475-9A16-AF25CAA1A45E.jpeg

AD53A119-1473-4E5D-9828-31986302F81C.jpeg

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First pic look like water spots which if you do not dry them the coating can get spots. Looks like it beads up well. Wash it and take a sandwich bag and feel the paint, should be smooth as a baby's butt.

OP
OP
B

bigsakius

Reaction score
Thanks will do. When it was dry it was pretty smooth. How can we get rid of the water spots? If it is coated just want to make sure I don’t damage it.

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks will do. When it was dry it was pretty smooth. How can we get rid of the water spots? If it is coated just want to make sure I don’t damage it.

If it is ceramic'd, I would image the water spots will come off when washed properly. My 2019 is ceramic'd and you can tell just be touching it, like when ya close the door, that something is not normal or just different. You may know the feel after being waxed? Well, its a much more telling feel.

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How easily does it clean up and how well does water shed off of it? My vehicles are ceramic coated and it makes getting things like bugs off the front super easy and the water slides right off of it to the point that it seems like the paint won't get wet. I'll try to embed a video later.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the photo with the water, I'd say that's not coated or it has worn off. My favorite top off spray is P&S Bead maker. A gallon is cheap, like $35, and it's a great detail spray. Easiest way is to wash the truck well and then mist the BM all over it and dry it with a quality chamois. You can also apply it again once dry following their process. As others have said, a true ceramic the water almost falls off the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779LMP2C/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

zack later

Reaction score
if the spots dont come out after washing your truck the next thing I'd try is claybar. I actually had some really bad water spots on my truck i just bought from the dealership sitting it in front of sprinklers while it was on the lot im guessing. I ended up getting a product from Chemical Guys that is specifically made for water spots and it worked really well.

Stephen27

Reaction score
Hi, there are ways to chemically remove the water spots. You can check for Gtechnique water spot remover that is safe for ceramic coating. After you remove it, you can buy a booster or ceramic coating spray. If the water spot is not removed, you can mechanically polish it but there is always a risk of removing the ceramic coating.