How to tell if cam phaser issue was addressed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravis22

Reaction score
looking to buy a used raptor and just wondering if there is some way to be able to tell if the cam phaser issue was fixed? I've looked at a lot and their carfax report and see the following on most/all of them, but i dont think this means it has been fixed per se does it? Seems more like it's just the notice from Ford, not necessarily that it has been fixed. Any advice is appreciated! This cam phaser issue is a big reason i'm concerned with buying used and shooting to get one still under warranty or at least low enough miles to still qualify for an ESP (which i think is less than 41k miles).

• Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program issued
    • Program #21B10 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM
    • FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE
  • Locate an authorized Ford or Lincoln dealer or call 866-436-7332 to obtain more information

OP
OP
R

ravis22

Reaction score
21B10 is the recall that includes an updated calibration to prevent the issue from occurring. If you want to know whether the recall was performed or the phasers were replaced you’d need to have the dealer run an OASIS report.
Thanks! Can only a Ford dealer run that report?

RedPanda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21B10 is the recall that includes an updated calibration to prevent the issue from occurring. If you want to know whether the recall was performed or the phasers were replaced you’d need to have the dealer run an OASIS report.

I actually just bought a 17 SCREW, took it into dealer and they performed the reprogram under warranty for me.

Does this mean the cam phaser issue is likely to not occur in the future then?

Reaction score
I got the reprogram done but it's still making the noise upon cold start so I'm wondering if it has to be replaced rather than reprogrammed? Any one else have a similar problem? 2017 avalanche with 29,000 miles. Thx

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I got the reprogram done but it's still making the noise upon cold start so I'm wondering if it has to be replaced rather than reprogrammed? Any one else have a similar problem? 2017 avalanche with 29,000 miles. Thx
From what I remember, the programing won't do any good if you already have or had the cam phaser noise, it's only to prevent it from happening in the first place as it prevents the incorrect positional parking of the cam phaser pin or something similar.

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
looking to buy a used raptor and just wondering if there is some way to be able to tell if the cam phaser issue was fixed? I've looked at a lot and their carfax report and see the following on most/all of them, but i dont think this means it has been fixed per se does it? Seems more like it's just the notice from Ford, not necessarily that it has been fixed. Any advice is appreciated! This cam phaser issue is a big reason i'm concerned with buying used and shooting to get one still under warranty or at least low enough miles to still qualify for an ESP (which i think is less than 41k miles).

• Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program issued
    • Program #21B10 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM
    • FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE
  • Locate an authorized Ford or Lincoln dealer or call 866-436-7332 to obtain more information
Broken cam phasers are like covid

You need a test to even see if there is anything wrong, because most of the time there are no symptoms. hahahaha

How about drive it and do you notice anything wrong? then great, or not. But if are only going by what a piece of paper is telling you, is that not odd?

OP
OP
R

ravis22

Reaction score
I actually just bought a 17 SCREW, took it into dealer and they performed the reprogram under warranty for me.

Does this mean the cam phaser issue is likely to not occur in the future then?
Hey RedPanda, since you mention you just bought a 2017 and got the reprogram covered under warranty then I assume this was under the powertrain warranty? I don’t have any experience with cam phasers on any other vehicle and since from the research I’ve done it seems like a slightly common issue, but one that is hard to predict, I’d like to have some confidence that if I buy used, and it hasn’t been fixed or happens in the future that it would be covered under powertrain warranty. Thanks!

BossRaptor

Reaction score
Oasis report is the only way to go. If they were replaced most likely done at a dealer and put in the oasis system. Trip to your local dealer and service adviser can print that off for you. That is what I did on my 19 Raptor I bought 2 months ago private party.