How to sell ordered truck to a friend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zhengyucoo

Reaction score
Ok, i'll try and keep this short. I ordered 3 trucks last summer from 3 different dealers. First one came in and i drove it for 2 weeks until my second one arrived, which was the one i preferred, so i sold my first one to a member here....at no profit BTW.

3 days ago i get an email from Ford that my white PP order was going to be built on 8/22. Frankly i thought that order was dead since no one had spoken to me since last August. This deal was for their only 37" allocation for $5k over msrp. I'm loving my Iconic Silver 2021 and don't want this new 37" truck but i don't want the dealer to have it either and stick it on the market for $20k ADM.

I have a friend who wants it but I'm worried the dealer won't let me just have him buy it. Are there are any strategies you guys know of where he can buy it directly from the dealer? I don't want to free up the cash to buy it, pay taxes and sell it to my friend.
Thanks
Maybe have your friend cosign, and take your name out after.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, i'll try and keep this short. I ordered 3 trucks last summer from 3 different dealers. First one came in and i drove it for 2 weeks until my second one arrived, which was the one i preferred, so i sold my first one to a member here....at no profit BTW.

3 days ago i get an email from Ford that my white PP order was going to be built on 8/22. Frankly i thought that order was dead since no one had spoken to me since last August. This deal was for their only 37" allocation for $5k over msrp. I'm loving my Iconic Silver 2021 and don't want this new 37" truck but i don't want the dealer to have it either and stick it on the market for $20k ADM.

I have a friend who wants it but I'm worried the dealer won't let me just have him buy it. Are there are any strategies you guys know of where he can buy it directly from the dealer? I don't want to free up the cash to buy it, pay taxes and sell it to my friend.
Thanks

I did the same thing earlier this year. Had a couple 37” trucks ordered at MSRP. I wasn’t taking a chance after getting screwed last year. I took the first truck that came in. 2nd one came a month later. Told the salesman i was going to be giving it to my business partner. No issues, they still honored MSRP deal but he had to pay the updated MSRP and didn’t get price protection. Had to be in the same name as the original order to get price protection. My friend just paid me back my deposit that I had put down.

I’m assuming the salesman is going to want to get the sale completed either way. If the dealership takes the truck back there’s probably not a guarantee that he will be the one to sell it or make the commission.

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just process the order as if it was you buying it and tell them you want all documents in a brother/wife or someone else's name. Don't need to explain anything other than title/registration need to be under so and so.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Title the truck in both of your names. "John Doe or Jim Doe". Ford still has to honor the original price. After the title is processed at the DMV, go back in and remove your name from the title. No additional taxes will be due as it iss already titled in his name, you're just removing your name. There is going to have to be some real trust between the two of you for this sort of deal, but it will save some money on both the price of the truck and/or taxes.

uthorns1976

Reaction score
In Texas, the guy you sell it to would have to pay sales tax on whatever the tax assessor's system says the value of the vehicle is. So, he would be reimbursing you for the sales tax you paid and then paying sales tax himself. That's the way it is in Texas unless you are a dealer.