How to: Reset Your ECU After Any Performance Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay.gordon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 5star tune and do this everytime I get my truck back from the dealer after a service where they disconnect the battery. I notice a change in the feel of the truck if they don't do a relearn. I also notice a hit on my MPG. I don't pretend to know if the relearn is what is fixing the "feel" or if it's just something that's psychosomatic.
I do know that my friends do a relearn on their vehicles of different makes and they say the same. If you don't the vehicle has a different "feel" when you drive it.

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 5star tune and do this everytime I get my truck back from the dealer after a service where they disconnect the battery. I notice a change in the feel of the truck if they don't do a relearn. I also notice a hit on my MPG. I don't pretend to know if the relearn is what is fixing the "feel" or if it's just something that's psychosomatic.
I do know that my friends do a relearn on their vehicles of different makes and they say the same. If you don't the vehicle has a different "feel" when you drive it.

Do you reload your tune after the reset?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so the procedure is to upload your tune. When done, disconnect the battery to reset the ecu and then follow the steps to relearn new fuel trim levels and what not. Please confirm.

Jay.gordon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the procedure is to upload your tune. When done, disconnect the battery to reset the ecu and then follow the steps to relearn new fuel trim levels and what not. Please confirm.

That's it. I disconnect for about 45 min and then hook the battery back up and follow the steps. I have it bookmarked on my phone so I don't have to drag out my laptop.

FAMARO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this yesterday. When I re connected, an alarm (that I never knew I had) went off.
How do I turn the alarm off? I cant re connect until I find the secret to turn off this alarm...

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did this with my 2003 ford Harley/lightning often when I would run at the strip, ect to re-train the way the trucks tranny, ect would react. It works great too. It's a good idea if you use as a daily driver and then hit up track outings. I had custom tunes and tons of mods in that beast so this isn't new technology and proven as well.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You prob have an alarm that reads voltage as in someone tampers with the battery and it goes off.

I did this yesterday. When I re connected, an alarm (that I never knew I had) went off.
How do I turn the alarm off? I cant re connect until I find the secret to turn off this alarm...

FAMARO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You prob have an alarm that reads voltage as in someone tampers with the battery and it goes off.

I have a 2010. I think the alarm was installed by the dealer. There is no info in my owners manual...nothing. Any suggestions how to turn it off? Everyday is a learning experience.