How To Remove Tailgate "Ford" Emblem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to remove the FORD tailgate emblem on the Gen2?

I purchased a nice Magnetic/Black one off EBay, and it looks like it is held in with clips only, but I don't want to rip it off and break "Old Blue"

So my question: Do I need to remove the tailgate access panel to do it, OR does it just pull off /out with trim tools?

I searched and found nothing for 15-17 so I though I would ask the experts.

Thanks in advance!

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't do it. Underneath there are numerous cutouts. There's a thread here with a pic. Best bet is to trade someone here that doesn't have it but wants it. Good luck.

Ooops , sorry op, thanks Chad

Last edited:

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure he is talking about the emblem, not the applique..

And I think its probably best to remove the access panel on the inside of the tailgate to see what you are doing. I think there are 2 holes there for aligning the emblem.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
remove the access plate on the inside of the tailgate to loosen/pry clips, then warm the emblem with a heatgun to soften the tape, and pry it out while undoing the clips.

OP
OP
ChevTillNow

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remove the access plate on the inside of the tailgate to loosen/pry clips, then warm the emblem with a heatgun to soften the tape, and pry it out while undoing the clips.

Thanks man! I kind off figured it didn't just pop out. This helps me to make sure I do it without wrecking the Big Blue

Much appreciated !

chi_weezy

Reaction score
OP why not just get a Rappygraphic or other decal and go right over it? Might be easier. That's what I'm going to do. I've also seen a video where the guy pladtidipped only the blue and left the chrome and looked really nice

OP
OP
ChevTillNow

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP why not just get a Rappygraphic or other decal and go right over it? Might be easier. That's what I'm going to do. I've also seen a video where the guy pladtidipped only the blue and left the chrome and looked really nice

That was my original plan I actually ordered a graphic for the back oval as well as my steering wheel. I must have ordered the wrong oval because it came in gen 1. So I ordered off eBay a magnetic and black one to match my truck.

I followed the good advice above and was able to take it off without too much hassle. The key was pinching the tabs from the rear under the access panel, and using a trim removal tool at the front to pull old blue off at the same time.

I think it looks much better now!

Attachments

• 20170623_191722.jpg
    20170623_191722.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 77

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my original plan I actually ordered a graphic for the back oval as well as my steering wheel. I must have ordered the wrong oval because it came in gen 1. So I ordered off eBay a magnetic and black one to match my truck.

I followed the good advice above and was able to take it off without too much hassle. The key was pinching the tabs from the rear under the access panel, and using a trim removal tool at the front to pull old blue off at the same time.

I think it looks much better now!

I like it. Wold you mind replying with the eBay link? I searched for something like this a while back and couldn't find anything. It's a direct replacement, right? With it's own factory style clips?

OP
OP
ChevTillNow

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it. Wold you mind replying with the eBay link? I searched for something like this a while back and couldn't find anything. It's a direct replacement, right? With it's own factory style clips?

Hey FB! Yes it was a direct replacement; everything fits perfect. The factory double stick appears to be some kind of spray on directly on the back of the blue Ford oval. It was warm out when I changed it so I was able to easily peel that off from the back side.

Here's the link:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/291572400443?_mwBanner=1

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to remove the FORD tailgate emblem on the Gen2?

I purchased a nice Magnetic/Black one off EBay, and it looks like it is held in with clips only, but I don't want to rip it off and break "Old Blue"

So my question: Do I need to remove the tailgate access panel to do it, OR does it just pull off /out with trim tools?

I searched and found nothing for 15-17 so I though I would ask the experts.

Thanks in advance!

lol

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 60