How to get more turbo sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 8/19 didn’t have these swirlers in the boost tubes. I went to remove them a long while back after installing my Cobb intake and was looking for more sound. Between the engineering to keep these trucks quiet and the turbos being smaller, it’s hard to get them to sound like an old Grand National or an older Powerstroke for that matter.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 8/19 didn’t have these swirlers in the boost tubes. I went to remove them a long while back after installing my Cobb intake and was looking for more sound. Between the engineering to keep these trucks quiet and the turbos being smaller, it’s hard to get them to sound like an old Grand National or an older Powerstroke for that matter.

Yea, I wish it would sound like a jet. I think the biggest problem is the sheer length of the inlet paths, it’s feet of plastic tubing after the air box before you even get close to the compressors.

RedrumOut

Reaction score
On my 2015 Lariat 3.5 Eco and current 2019 Raptor, I put a drop in AFE replacement air filter then removed the 2 plastic air silencer things in the intake tube. This combo gave more turbo spool whistle sound when the windows are down.
Question for you with the whole drop in, I did a Green filter drop in and noticed there was like some kind of felt piece attached to the air box on the bottom box not the lid. Did you remove that? I remember ripping out all the felt in the old Foxbody fender wells because of restrictions. Not that this little hanger of felt would be life changing either way. I guess it’s like a Dude thing, I see it, I wanna rip it out.

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for you with the whole drop in, I did a Green filter drop in and noticed there was like some kind of felt piece attached to the air box on the bottom box not the lid. Did you remove that? I remember ripping out all the felt in the old Foxbody fender wells because of restrictions. Not that this little hanger of felt would be life changing either way. I guess it’s like a Dude thing, I see it, I wanna rip it out.
That's a hydrocarbon trap for emissions after key off. Will not affect anything.
I have a 2019 and mine had the vanes. Dated 02/2019. What was the cutoff supposed to be for them?
I believe that it was mid-calendar year change so I would say mid-2019. Don't know the exact cutoff date. New turbos came with all 2019+ and then the vanes got deleted later on.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a hydrocarbon trap for emissions after key off. Will not affect anything.

I believe that it was mid-calendar year change so I would say mid-2019. Don't know the exact cutoff date. New turbos came with all 2019+ and then the vanes got deleted later on.
Ah maybe that’s why I never got a code from removing mine, cause it was basically already ready for them to be gone.

GoDucks

Reaction score
I didn't see it so my truck didn't have it. By the way, my friend upgraded his intercooler and BOV, his truck has more turbo sound and the wssshhh of the BOV. Sounds good but not sure I want to do it.