How to fix wheel damage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usnmustanger

Reaction score
Bought truck used, great shape except for some cosmetic defects. This is the worst one. How can I fix these wheel scuffs?
EC639B5E-0298-4736-9905-EF0B9D16F1A6.jpeg
TIA!

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert by any means, but there are a TON of you tube videos on the subject if you’re looking to fix yourself. But the jist of it is, trying to sand it down as smooth as possible and blending it in, once painted it looks seamless. There’s also a lot of wheel repair shops that specialize in this sort of thing

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ask the local dealerships, ford and high dollar performance car dealers. who they use. I found a place near me 150 per wheel. depending how bad it is.

OP
OP
usnmustanger

usnmustanger

Reaction score

I do believe a professional might grind that entire area down and brush it up nicely then repowdercoat

I have Ford Protect warranty and they cover Tim damage so I just took mine to a dealership and they sent it somewhere to get it fixed.

ask the local dealerships, ford and high dollar performance car dealers. who they use. I found a place near me 150 per wheel. depending how bad it is.

Thanks, folks, but I was looking for a way to do it myself. My apologies for not making that clear.

I’m no expert by any means, but there are a TON of you tube videos on the subject if you’re looking to fix yourself. But the jist of it is, trying to sand it down as smooth as possible and blending it in, once painted it looks seamless. There’s also a lot of wheel repair shops that specialize in this sort of thing

I am not an expert but I gave a a shot after watching some repair videos. Basically, sand down area, fill will bondo, let dry, sand smoothen then repaint. I did this on my wife's Explorer ST with the 22' black rims. It turned out pretty good.

Thank you, I'll look for some videos and give it a shot. I was originally asking b/c the wheels look powder coated, and if they are, I didn't want to go the paint route. But I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I would just use a touch up pen. Also, looks like the ring is on wrong. The recess for the valve stem isn’t lined up.

Yeah, I noticed it too when I was taking the picture. Gonna have to fix that! The dealership put new tires on it before I bought it, so it was likely reinstalled wrong there. Sad, really...

Bluto

Reaction score
Discount tire damaged my wheels in almost the exact same way. I stand at the bay and watch them every time now when they switch over my summer to winter tires. Anyhow, I had them powder coated on their dime the same color as stock. Can't tell they were ever damaged. I think it was about $600, but they look brand new.