How to fix weird streaks in repainted bumper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrantW

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, long story short, I had to repaint my left side rear bumper piece. The color seems to match up perfectly along with the metallic looking flakes, and I'm really happy with that, but under certain lighting, these weird horizontal streaks (almost blotchy looking) appear. You can see them if you shine a flashlight right on it, or on really cloudy days. At other times, it looks fine and you can't even see it. Of course this is one of those stupid little things that will bug me on a new truck. Does anyone know if there is some kind of polish that will take this out? I'm afraid of ruining this paint, because a previous polish I used seemed to make one of the original scratches I had look worn out around the scratch I tried to fix (the main reason why I repainted in the first place). Here's a picture. It's hard to tell, but it looks like this almost soapy residue left over, but it's not, and won't go away. Yes, I realize it's probably OCD, but would like to try to fix it regardless. If all else fails, I'm looking for a new bumper piece on Ebay, but they all have significant scratches on them... I wish I could order this piece painted already from the factory.

Thanks!

IMG_8538.jpeg

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a paint defect rather than a detailing issue. It's in the metallic itself. Silver metallic is one of the hardest things to spray perfectly, you will have to respray. There are some YouTube videos on painting metallic.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you plan on putting rear/backup lighting, BD S1 flush mounts will hide most of that.

For the cost of repainting or new bumper, you'll have some kickass rear lighting.

OP
OP
BrantW

BrantW

Reaction score
That's a paint defect rather than a detailing issue. It's in the metallic itself. Silver metallic is one of the hardest things to spray perfectly, you will have to respray. There are some YouTube videos on painting metallic.

Damn, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. I'm tired of messing with this thing, I think I'm going to get an ADD PRO instead. I never really liked the rear bumper anyways. Thanks for your help!

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Silver metallic is the worst! It will either be light or dark, shadows or ghosts. Get just a little static in the truck or the gun and the metallic stands up or lays down sho knows, could be anything.