How to control heated steering wheel with CarPlay active?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braptorin

Reaction score
As far as I can tell the only way to manually control the steering wheel heater is through the traditional Sync UI, which gets clobbered as soon as I plug my iPhone in. It seems to me that the only way to manually control my heater is to completely unplug my phone so the Sync system comes back... does this sound right?

2019 802A, for the record.

thx!

gopher870

Reaction score
Not entirely....but the work around still sucks.

Within Apple CarPlay, select the option to show the home screen with all of the app icons. One will be the FORD icon. Click on the Ford icon and it will bring you into the Ford UI, select climate, then select the heated steering wheel. You can also go back to Apple CarPlay from the Ford's home screen.

It drives me crazy that you have to go through so many steps to turn on the heated steering wheel. I did notice the new 2021 models have a physical button next to the heated seats now. Little help for us. ...

I did read somewhere either Ford or Lincoln or maybe even another manufacture used voice commands to turn it on/off so therefore there was no need for a physical button, but I never tried it in my Raptor.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
SO... I’m not a big CarPlay enthusiast and don’t use it very often. However, I’ll mention / ask ; there’s a FORSCAN modification to put heated seats, and wheel icons on the sync main page. Cool to have on the sync “landing” page, so you would likely still need the “workaround” above, but, maybe less clicking through

OP
OP
B

braptorin

Reaction score
SO... I’m not a big CarPlay enthusiast and don’t use it very often. However, I’ll mention / ask ; there’s a FORSCAN modification to put heated seats, and wheel icons on the sync main page. Cool to have on the sync “landing” page, so you would likely still need the “workaround” above, but, maybe less clicking through
Minimizing clicks and menus is RAD. Excellent call!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Heated Steering Wheel option was added to the Sync home screen in version 3.4, which comes standard on 2020 models. Depending on your APIM version, you can upgrade your existing Sync to 3.4. I upgraded to 3.4 on my 2019.

OP
OP
B

braptorin

Reaction score
The Heated Steering Wheel option was added to the Sync home screen in version 3.4, which comes standard on 2020 models. Depending on your APIM version, you can upgrade your existing Sync to 3.4. I upgraded to 3.4 on my 2019.
I got the OEM alert to upgrade my 2019's sync to 3.4 back in October, which I did without issue. I'll check my home screen when I get back to the truck to be sure, but I expect I'll have the heater icon on the homepage too, which will be nice!

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I have a 2019 802A, Sync 3.3 and I've the heated steering icon on my Home screen.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How. About a simple button... On the actual steering wheel.... Hmmm.

One of only the few reasons I miss my GMC. That silly little button.