How strong is the rear hitch receiver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viking84

Reaction score
I am considering getting a winch in a cradle that mounts to the rear hitch receiver. 6000 lbs winch. Any thoughts on whether or not this could cause any problems for the hitch receiver on the Raptor?

2018Shelby

Reaction score
I have used a Warn for years with all my Raptors and have had no issues. My Shelby Baja Raptor has large hooks on front and rear bumper and I use a front hitch and works great. Good luck have fun!

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have driven thousand miles with a Warn 8000 winch and used it muchly. Also many dynamic pulls. Hitch ain’t going anywhere.

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used a Warn for years with all my Raptors and have had no issues. My Shelby Baja Raptor has large hooks on front and rear bumper and I use a front hitch and works great. Good luck have fun!
Bro, don’t pull with that bumper!

Look under where it mounts to the frame, the front Ford bumper gusset is only designed to collapse in an accident. It will pull out and deform if you use it that way. Also if Shelby/Tuscany didn’t install the larger stronger washers from ADD, it will pull out. Ask me how i know…..

I welded small triangles under there after i straightend it, then it worked.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bro, don’t pull with that bumper!

Look under where it mounts to the frame, the front Ford bumper gusset is only designed to collapse in an accident. It will pull out and deform if you use it that way. Also if Shelby/Tuscany didn’t install the larger stronger washers from ADD, it will pull out. Ask me how i know…..

I welded small triangles under there after i straightend it, then it worked.

I think you need to look at it more carefully. The hitch is mounted to the frame and the bumper to the hitch. It’s not going anywhere. The bumper isn’t the anchor point.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am considering getting a winch in a cradle that mounts to the rear hitch receiver. 6000 lbs winch. Any thoughts on whether or not this could cause any problems for the hitch receiver on the Raptor?
If you're rated to tow an 8000lb trailer, a 6000lb winch gives you safety margin over Ford's safety margin.

OP
OP
Viking84

Viking84

Reaction score
If you're rated to tow an 8000lb trailer, a 6000lb winch gives you safety margin over Ford's safety margin.
Good point, I suppose they have considered a fair amount of dynamic load from a heavy trailer going in unpredictable directions, should be good for a winch pull at 6000 lbs then. Cheers all :D

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to look at it more carefully. The hitch is mounted to the frame and the bumper to the hitch. It’s not going anywhere. The bumper isn’t the anchor point.
That was in reference to his Shelby ADD front bumper. I did also post that the hitch was solid.