How strong is the rear hitch receiver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Viking84

Viking84

Reaction score
Why do you want a winch on the rear?
Ideally I'd want one on the front and back, but failing that I can at least get a rear mounted winch to pull me back to solid ground and then I can choose a different route.

Sadly the laws for vehicle modification in Europe are pretty strict, so something like a Warn front winch bumper wouldn't be legal as it isn't TÜV approved :(

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am considering getting a winch in a cradle that mounts to the rear hitch receiver. 6000 lbs winch. Any thoughts on whether or not this could cause any problems for the hitch receiver on the Raptor?
That's a very small winch for a Raptor. You want about double that. General rule is a winch that is around double the weight of your vehicle. That's even small for a Jeep. I run a 12K on my truck (8K on my Jeep TJ).

However, to answer your question, your receiver hitch will have no problems. But you are going to burn up that winch.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a very small winch for a Raptor. You want about double that. General rule is a winch that is around double the weight of your vehicle. That's even small for a Jeep. I run a 12K on my truck (8K on my Jeep TJ).

However, to answer your question, your receiver hitch will have no problems. But you are going to burn up that winch.
I would agree with this. 4500-6000lbs is Side by Side territory. Important to note, you only get maximum torque if you have the cable fully extended and on the very first wrap around the drum. After the first wrap around, you're effectively changing the gear ratio of the winch and losing torque.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i worked at Warn for eight years. that doesn’t make me an expert. but i’ll share my experience.

i’ve been able to do plenty of pulls with actual inline load cells. the average recovery pull is just a couple thousand pounds. rarely more.

now this goes up considerably if you sink your F350 up to the frame in mud, but that goes without saying. it really depends on the kind of problems you are looking to solve. and how “motivated” the user is.

it’s also important to note that winch ratings are all for the bottom layer of rope. top layer can be a couple thousand pounds less. plan accordingly.

this is cool to know if you’re in Oregon with a tree every 5 feet. but if you’re someplace where a deadhead is towards the end of your rope capacity. don’t plan on snatch blocking.

i run a 6k winch on my JKU on 37s with dana 60s. it’s about as heavy as you can make a jeep. the reason is line speed. what gives a winch higher rating is lower gearing. (motors are normally 2 to 2.5 real hp, but gearing is where it’s at) so higher rated winches are generally slower. a faster winch is cool to prevent running over or having slack in your cable during a recovery as traction ebbs and flows.

if i need more boom than my little winch has, i can always snatch block and double the capacity. it’s never happened, but i could.

i like a rear winch on a truck for a couple reasons. first any weight in the back of a truck in generally a good thing. also, as opposed to a jeep, when i’m stuck in a truck, i generally am happy to go back.

i’m sure plenty of disagreement. and that’s cool. there is no universal right answer here. just what is right for an individual use case.

fun fact: actual industry market research shows that more than 90% of all winches NEVER get used.

hope this helps someone.

:)