How Soon Can you Wax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brownkc81

Reaction score
Took Delivery of my 2018 Raptor last night. How soon can I wax a brand new vehicle? I have heard that you are not supposed to wax a new vehicle.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have never heard anything like that and I am in the business. The stuff they use at the dealerships when prepping the car/truck for delivery is really cheap stuff that would be washed off after a couple rain storms. You can get your truck re detailed with the right stuff as soon as you buy it. I believe if you repaint the car/truck you are not supposed to wax it for about 30 days to let the paint breath....

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
probably an old myth back when the manufacturers used single stage paints to wait a certain time to put a coat of protection on.

you have a new technology, clear coat finish that was baked and cured at the factory.. much harder than the old single stage paints they used back when.. put whatever you like on it. i'd suggest clay barring it also, to remove industrial contaminates during shipping.. rail dust, fallout.. you'd be surprised how much is stuck on your new truck

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paint only needs to cure for 30 days before waxing if it was painted by a body shop. MFG paint is cured thermally and is ok to wax as soon as you take delivery.

OP
OP
B

brownkc81

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the input. Will be getting some quality detail products to keep this thing looking sharp.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took Delivery of my 2018 Raptor last night. How soon can I wax a brand new vehicle? I have heard that you are not supposed to wax a new vehicle.

I wouldn't even wax it. I would use a sealant, lot less work and last longer. I use Adams sealant on my truck only twice a year. As long as you keep it washed and clean (tons of info on this site for that) It should stay looking new for years. Unless it's more of a show truck and always garaged then wax the way to go.

On my garaged cars that don't get used often I sealed and then waxed. But they don't live outside.

Trouble with wax is it needs to be done more often.

High quality micro fiber towels also very important. Leave the Costco ones for wheels etc. and not on the paint.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the input. Will be getting some quality detail products to keep this thing looking sharp.

We've got your quality detailing products! :ROFLJest:

As others have already answered, you're good to go to apply some protection to the paint on your new truck.

And as @RAPTORSV stated, our polymer-based Paint Sealant will provide better protection and last longer than a traditional, carnauba-based paste or liquid wax.

With our Paint Sealant lasting up to six months, it saves you time and money over applying a wax more often.

And while traditional waxes may have a bit more shine than some sealants, I think you will be surprised how much shine you get from the Paint Sealant.

And you can always layer a wax over the sealant to get even more shine on your Raptor!

The best way to get what you need to keep your new truck protected from the elements and looking great is to pick up a kit or two. These kits bundle together products at a discount, saving you some money. You can also use the RAPTOR discount code to save 10% every day, and there are always sales with even bigger discounts and specials.

Let me know if you need any help figuring out to get started. You can also check out this thread for some more information and how-to instructions:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f209/adams-polishes-detailing-guide-45736/#post940136