How often do you use leather conditioner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Modern leather is sealed, almost like its painted. It doesn't require any conditioner. I keep it clean with Adams interior detailer and a damp cloth rung out till it's almost dry. You don't want to soak your seats. Adams leather conditioner works well after, doesn't add a shine and helps protect from UV rays. But modern leather can't really be conditioned.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Modern leather is sealed, almost like its painted. It doesn't require any conditioner. I keep it clean with Adams interior detailer and a damp cloth rung out till it's almost dry. You don't want to soak your seats. Adams leather conditioner works well after, doesn't add a shine and helps protect from UV rays. But modern leather can't really be conditioned.

Agreed. There's often confusion in parts of the internet between the old days when leather was just plain leather, and the conditioners (like bag balm) were completely different than what are labeled "leather conditioners" today. Modern versions of leather conditioners are designed for use on coated leather like most modern cars have.

You've got the process just right, perform light maintenance with Interior Detailer, and occasionally apply Leather Conditioner to protect the leather from UV damage. It also has the added benefit of providing protection from soils and stains, since having the Leather Conditioner on the seats helps prevent other crud from soaking in and becoming more difficult to remove.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

In the past i for leather seats i have used Meguiar's products for leather in my trucks. Mainly because it is available at almost any store and "name" brand. Any thoughts if i should change to something like adams?

It certainly can't hurt to give our Leather Conditioner a try. If you don't like it, then send it back for a 110% refund.

NM156

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used Adams Leather cleaner and then Adam's Leather Conditioner today. Seats look new again!

Thanks Adams for the great products!

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is what I understood, my Platinum leather seats had a "coating" on them and the traditional leather conditioner (I use the brown bottle Lexol) would just wipe off and not penetrate/condition. However with my 2016 King Ranch leather seating the Lexol appeared to have better results...I'm assuming the Raptor is going to have "sealed" leather seats...silly question for sure, but if the leather is sealed you're only treating the sealed surface, not the actual leather? Seems you'd only clean these leather seats and conditioner is just going to wipe off or soak into your backside?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

In the past i for leather seats i have used Meguiar's products for leather in my trucks. Mainly because it is available at almost any store and "name" brand. Any thoughts if i should change to something like adams?

I used the Meguiar's "Gold Class" leather conditioner once (on my black Platinum leather seats with perforations) and it dried whiteish, was awful trying to get the white residue out of the holes in the perforations...have used Lexol ever since. This may be a moot comment as that was several years ago. Think I'll give Adam's a try as it seems to be popular here...

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is what I understood, my Platinum leather seats had a "coating" on them and the traditional leather conditioner (I use the brown bottle Lexol) would just wipe off and not penetrate/condition. However with my 2016 King Ranch leather seating the Lexol appeared to have better results...I'm assuming the Raptor is going to have "sealed" leather seats...silly question for sure, but if the leather is sealed you're only treating the sealed surface, not the actual leather? Seems you'd only clean these leather seats and conditioner is just going to wipe off or soak into your backside?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I used the Meguiar's "Gold Class" leather conditioner once (on my black Platinum leather seats with perforations) and it dried whiteish, was awful trying to get the white residue out of the holes in the perforations...have used Lexol ever since. This may be a moot comment as that was several years ago. Think I'll give Adam's a try as it seems to be popular here...

The leather is still porous, even though it is coated. It is certainly not impervious, so the Leather Conditioner will soak in.

To avoid getting excess product build-up in the perforations when you are applying to the seats, work the product into the applicator or towel a little by folding it over, then start by wiping the non-perforated areas first, then go over the perforated areas.

Check out this post for some 50/50 shots, and to see how the product does soak into the leather:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f36/first-detail-adamized-raptor-33281/index14.html#post851151

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The leather is still porous, even though it is coated. It is certainly not impervious, so the Leather Conditioner will soak in.

To avoid getting excess product build-up in the perforations when you are applying to the seats, work the product into the applicator or towel a little by folding it over, then start by wiping the non-perforated areas first, then go over the perforated areas.

Check out this post for some 50/50 shots, and to see how the product does soak into the leather:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f36/first-detail-adamized-raptor-33281/index14.html#post851151

Nice and thank you for your informative response - appreciate it!! Off topic, but do you guys make anything for the Alcantara (faux suede) that Ford uses in the GT350? Mine is only 8 mos old now and starting to look worn already...thx!

Just checked out the referenced thread, and that's awesome that there is no residue so you don't have to wipe it down again after initial application. Even just adding a light coat of the Lexol and I have to let it dry overnight then do a final wipe the next day or it feels sticky, And I'm applying using a cotton towel with only light product on it...not saturated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The manual is very restrictive in what it says is ok. I currently am using AMMO Mousse, which meets the requirements, but will switch to Leatherique once I'm out of Mousse.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nice and thank you for your informative response - appreciate it!! Off topic, but do you guys make anything for the Alcantara (faux suede) that Ford uses in the GT350? Mine is only 8 mos old now and starting to look worn already...thx!

Just checked out the referenced thread, and that's awesome that there is no residue so you don't have to wipe it down again after initial application. Even just adding a light coat of the Lexol and I have to let it dry overnight then do a final wipe the next day or it feels sticky, And I'm applying using a cotton towel with only light product on it...not saturated.

Yep! The Leather Conditioner does not leave any residue, and its not sticky at all.

Check out this post on Adam's Forums about caring for Alcantara:

TECH TIP: Caring for Suede / Micro-Suede Interior Surfaces - The Adam's Detailing Library - Adams Forums