How necessary are upgraded bump stops?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Predator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the threshold for when you should get an upraded set of bump stops like the RPG/Fox combo? I am assuming it's to help your truck go even faster or perform more aggressive jumps more safely offroad?

I live in Florida and don't have the luxury of having the terrain that many of you have out west, but do plan on a long road trip that way soon to play in the sand. I did the Raptor Assault program in Utah and felt that the stock setup worked well for those trucks which go off-road and get beat on almost every day for hours.

I get why they are used on baja trophy trucks, but are they necessary on our Raptors? Just curious.

On a side note, I've got Deavers on the way... can't wait.

Last edited:

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how hard you are on the truck. I dont think most users need them. I probably don't need them, but I've already purchased the SVC bump stop kit just in case. I've got the money and I like the added protection. Plus it looks cool!

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is today gonna be a good day?

Are you just gonna send it?

Sounds like you don't need upgraded bumps.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a Gen1 perspective - If your intention is to get it offroad in the desert and or dunes, especially anything that will get the Raptor airborne, then adding the bumpstops is necessary. The frame support kit that the bump stops attach to is arguably more necessary since it boxes out the frame and adds strength where you need it. Those static little rubber OEM bumpstops aren't much protection from anything.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It all depends on how you use yours. If mild off-roading is all you do they may not be necessary, but you you intend to run hard over whoops and catch air I would recommend them. They also can be used when hauling occasional heavy loads. I have the SVC system and adjust the bump cans down to tow/haul mode when needed. Your going to love the Deavers!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plus if you get deaver rear springs you can't use the OEM bump stops IIRC - you are forced to something aftermarket.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plus if you get deaver rear springs you can't use the OEM bump stops IIRC - you are forced to something aftermarket.

That's not correct....I think SDHQ sells a
strike pad to use with the Deavers that allows the use of the stock bottoming snubbers...

I run the SVC bump stop kit because for me the factory bump range of the stock shocks although pretty good was a little lacking for some of what I do...

OP
OP
Predator

Predator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like air bumps might make their way on my Rap later down the line.

I purchased the metal bump plates from RPG. If you're going to continue using the stock rubber bump stops you simply install the plates inwards, instead of outwards for the Fox air bumps.