How much taxes and fees do you pay annually in SC or NC state?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there is no property tax for vehicles in SC?
No, there is annual property tax on all vehicles owned/registered. He registered his for the first time, which is the sales tax, capped in SC at $500. He will pay property taxes each year thereafter.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. SC max SALES tax is 500 but you pay a property tax on the estimated value by whatever the agency is using to pay a percentage tax every year due at registration, usually whatever month you bought said vehicle.

One thing to note and I’m not sure if true but every county may add another half point or a little to the state prop tax. It may vary every county. I’m from Anderson county and mine was 511 or so for a 2018. My 2013 cayenne gts was 525 back in 2021

3Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every state is going to screw you, the only difference is the position they do it in...and in California and a few NE states, they will come back for sloppy seconds and thirds.

Sales tax, property tax, income tax, gasoline tax, etc...whenever you hear that a state has low property tax or no income tax, just know they are getting their money through some other form of taxation. No free lunch.

To the OP, if you are considering moving, consider all the various taxes and calculate what works best for your specific situation (employed or retired? expensive or cheap car? renting or home ownership?)