How much power is enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrackRat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have enough power when you can spin the rear wheels from the exit of one corner to entrance of the next corner. Max horsepower means nothing in daily driver scenarios. Your horsepower is adjustable by how far you push the gas pedal. Engine management keeps everything pretty tame driving around town. If you drive like an ass with 450 hp then yes you will get in trouble with 700+ hp. Yes there is some MPG loss with turning a supercharger vs turbos. Most boosted engines have a tad lower compression ratio the a N/A engine so there is loss of MPG there too. Trade off is when you push the gas to floor and feel the Horsepower. If your the type of driver that never gets into boost and never over 75mph then 700+hp might not be for you. My ideal # would be 800 hp and 18 mpg .

Great Mark Donahue quote!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like Ford finshed third in the Baja with the Gen1 Raptor, and that motor made something like 500 hp.

Equally important would be losing weight off the truck. You know, pulling out the back seats, get rid of the carpet and soundproofing, all that headliner stuff, that can all go too. Replace the front recliners with some lightweight racing seats. There's 500 pounds easy, probably more.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, the future of the electric vehicle is hydrogen fuel cells, not battery technology. There is a Company (Nikola Motors) building hydrogen electric 18 wheelers along with a network of hydrogen filling stations. Refueling times would be similar to gas/diesel, emissions friendly, and no battery waste issue to resolve. Perhaps the future of the Raptor is 800+ HP....4 hydrogen powered electric motors, one at each wheel, putting out 200HP each and an insane amount of torque.
I think fuel cells are the future too. Havent seem many pictures of the Nikola semis but have heard they're better in every way than the Teslas

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As my Mechanic told me when I got mine..(he has the new Shelby Mustang)...you are going to have every yahoo on the road wanting to race you....just turn and smile,cause you dont have to prove anything....
I get any rusty ecoboost with an exhaust trying to show me up. F-off junior I’ve got kids inside.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get any rusty ecoboost with an exhaust trying to show me up. F-off junior I’ve got kids inside.

Well said..!!
Maybe Ford needs to add a warning label to the sticker price of the Raptor..."Driving this truck will attract A-Holes"
Most of these morons dont realize ANY vehicle can get up to 100MPH...! WTF are they trying to prove...And I also drive a Corvette and find it amazing...owned it 40+ years and maybe 1-2 times a year I'll run into some Yahoo that wants to race..
Now I drive a Moron Magnet...my Raptor..LOL and get it 1-2 times every time I take it on the Highway...
And funny,just had one last night...I saw him coming off exit onto highway and he must of saw me...Newer Chevy...I look in rear view mirror and see him weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed...hes coming up behind me and then pulls alongside passes me about 2 car lengths and hits the brakes so we are head to hear..wanting to race...What I wanted to do was roll down the window and flip him the bird...but damn,with all the road rage and nuts out there,you cant even give a good Flip to anyone anymore...!! Where are the cops when you need them....cause this guy really deserved to have his rig impounded...!

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well said..!!
Maybe Ford needs to add a warning label to the sticker price of the Raptor..."Driving this truck will attract A-Holes"
Most of these morons dont realize ANY vehicle can get up to 100MPH...! WTF are they trying to prove...And I also drive a Corvette and find it amazing...owned it 40+ years and maybe 1-2 times a year I'll run into some Yahoo that wants to race..
Now I drive a Moron Magnet...my Raptor..LOL and get it 1-2 times every time I take it on the Highway...
And funny,just had one last night...I saw him coming off exit onto highway and he must of saw me...Newer Chevy...I look in rear view mirror and see him weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed...hes coming up behind me and then pulls alongside passes me about 2 car lengths and hits the brakes so we are head to hear..wanting to race...What I wanted to do was roll down the window and flip him the bird...but damn,with all the road rage and nuts out there,you cant even give a good Flip to anyone anymore...!! Where are the cops when you need them....cause this guy really deserved to have his rig impounded...!
I’ve been DDing a 05 CTS-V for years. Same power with 1500 less lbs and a much more manageable footprint. Never got the attention I get now. Who the f races pickup trucks in traffic? I don’t get it. This isn’t backroads or highways either.

JPW Colorado

Reaction score
Of course torque is real important too. But on the street with a pickup I would like about 1 horsepower to each 8 pounds of weight. 5700 curb weight divided by 8 = about 700 horsepower. Is it a coincidence that this power to weight ratio is what the new supercharged V8 Ford next gen Raptor will deliver if brought to market?

The current Ecoboost motor is more than competent but not what I would call exciting. It is good enough to make the Raptor, along with the Ford Platinum F-150, the fastest stock pickup on the market. Many higher performance SUV's offer considerably greater acceleration than even the Raptor. My Porsche Cayenne Turbo's extra power is both welcome and safely usable on the street. So I would be a buyer for the 700 horse Raptor if it comes to market in a few years.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodge doesn't build trucks. If you are talking about RAM Rebel it would just be a shipping crate for a high HP motor - no competition there.

you can call it a ram, i will call it a dodge - as we all know it is a dodge. thank you for the correction though lol

maybe you haven't seen the TRX they have been testing to compete with the raptor but it is expected to have a supercharged 6.2 with 707hp and a suspension to back it up. I personally will never buy it but it certainly looks like it will fit the raptor audience and I imagine it will be a formidable competitor...

https://www.motor1.com/news/375832/ram-rebel-trx-everything-we-know/