GEN 2 How many of you needed a new trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbryant1004

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Screw 802A that I bought in early 2020 "brand new" although it had been sitting in the lot and had roughly 40miles on it (test drives I imagine).

Since I've owned it I noticed the truck would jerk when shifting from 3rd-2nd in sport manual. I did a little research and found some you mentioning TCM flash would fix, so I didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to now 25k miles I noticed recently in sport or normal auto, sometimes the truck would hesitate a bit to find the correct gear. Mentioned this when I took it in for an oil leak earlier this week and they said I had all TCM flashes and that it could be the torque converter. Just heard Thursday that a new torque converter did NOT fix and now they're throwing a new trans in it.

Granted this is still under warranty, but I'm wondering if this is a common problem with the Gen2s? Should I ditch the Gen2 and get a Gen3 or is the issue still present with the Gen3s?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
9c84788239284a20f9df342d90280e5c.gif

No. Replacing the transmission is not a common issue on the Raptor. Gen 3 uses the same 10 speed transmission. The standard F150 eco might as well but don't quote me on it.

UsedRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also being a amputee on my throttle side I find in sport that my throttle modulation is to much on/off can't have that nice ankle modulation and mine shifts differently. Can catch it in between and just isn't right.

OP
OP
C

cbryant1004

Reaction score
Transmission on these takes a bit to warm up. Don't respond well to fire up and race out of wherever you domicile to wherever you silently rage against the man.
Yeah I drive the truck fairly conservatively and will typically wait until the engine is at idle temp before I decide if I want to lay into it. Even when I lay into it, I'm generally never full throttle. So hence my concern about the trans.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Screw 802A that I bought in early 2020 "brand new" although it had been sitting in the lot and had roughly 40miles on it (test drives I imagine).

Since I've owned it I noticed the truck would jerk when shifting from 3rd-2nd in sport manual. I did a little research and found some you mentioning TCM flash would fix, so I didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to now 25k miles I noticed recently in sport or normal auto, sometimes the truck would hesitate a bit to find the correct gear. Mentioned this when I took it in for an oil leak earlier this week and they said I had all TCM flashes and that it could be the torque converter. Just heard Thursday that a new torque converter did NOT fix and now they're throwing a new trans in it.

Granted this is still under warranty, but I'm wondering if this is a common problem with the Gen2s? Should I ditch the Gen2 and get a Gen3 or is the issue still present with the Gen3s?
Manual mode is quick shifts; you’re going to feel it. A Torque converter is not going to cause a hesitation in shifts; that makes no sense.

On what basis are they replacing the transmission? Warranty requires tear down and diagnosis before a repair or replacement.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As with almost everything, R&D only gets you so far. Real world experience = real world testing. There is a TSB for updated valve body + programming to bring pre 2019 10 speed transmissions to 2019+ calibration / refinement level.

I have done about a dozen of them at my shop the last 2 years and it works.

Also personally my 2020 Raptor (10 speed obviously) has one of the best transmissions ever!!

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 80k and no issues... And here is a a PSA for those owners who didn't get an owner's manual...lol. Remember unless you're driving this thing real hard, like frequent trips down the baja, the factory recommended fluid change is 150k. When the dealer says they need to change your transmission fluid ask them why.... And if they want to do a flush and fill, ask them for the TSB from Ford recommending it. They won't have it.

pavendort

Reaction score
I am at 99K and they are rebuilding my transmission now due to several parts failing. They would have replaced it but I was told the national backorder has no date for future deliveries at all, so its any ones guess when they might be back. Generally speaking, the only real complaint I hear often about these 10R80 transmissions is the rough shifting that is more tune/calibration than anything.

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am at 99K and they are rebuilding my transmission now due to several parts failing. They would have replaced it but I was told the national backorder has no date for future deliveries at all, so its any ones guess when they might be back. Generally speaking, the only real complaint I hear often about these 10R80 transmissions is the rough shifting that is more tune/calibration than anything.
Did you ever service the transmission??

I don't get the complaints on shifting, it isn't a 1983 Cadillac Deville.

Personally mine is one of the best shifting transmissions I have ever felt.