How is Ford going to deliver on the Gen 3 Raptor with this chip shortage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why do you think there is a chip shortage....

Why are lots of things in short availability....
Multiple reasons. A perfect storm. Covid interrupted supply chains. Companies in general thought that there would be a covid recession and cut orders. Demand increased instead and there isn't enough capacity to catch up. The drought in Taiwan. Making chips requires an insane amount of water. The Taiwanese prefer that their populace not die of thirst. Go figure. Helicopter money from the Fed, which is probably why demand increased. A simple matter of more dollars chasing fewer goods. Other than the drought in Taiwan, these factors all play into the other shortages, and each of those may have it's own contributing factors. Like lumber. We have plenty of wood. What we don't have is sawmill capacity or the willingness to invest billions to build more capacity which might come online just in time for the next recession. Complex systems don't handle disruption well ...

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
based on the fact that we haven’t heard anything officially from Ford for over three months, 5/10 came and went with no B&P, and there are STILL NO POWER FIGURES for the Gen 3, I would say it is highly unlikely that anyone sees one of these before 2022.

Ford has not come out directly with dates, but we've heard plenty trickled down through dealers. Ford knows that there are a lot of variables regarding dates that they can't fully control. Ford also knows that dealers already have their buyers lined up. So why exactly would exactly does Ford have to gain by releasing dates publicly?

I'm not saying there's any guarantees, obviously, but the lack of more official information doesn't mean that Ford isn't going to make Raptors this summer as they originally stated they would.

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for one the chip plant that supplies 30% of the worlds microcontroller burned down.

And for the record, I am a Trump supporter.

Multiple reasons. A perfect storm. Covid interrupted supply chains. Companies in general thought that there would be a covid recession and cut orders. Demand increased instead and there isn't enough capacity to catch up. The drought in Taiwan. Making chips requires an insane amount of water. The Taiwanese prefer that their populace not die of thirst. Go figure. Helicopter money from the Fed, which is probably why demand increased. A simple matter of more dollars chasing fewer goods. Other than the drought in Taiwan, these factors all play into the other shortages, and each of those may have it's own contributing factors. Like lumber. We have plenty of wood. What we don't have is sawmill capacity or the willingness to invest billions to build more capacity which might come online just in time for the next recession. Complex systems don't handle disruption well ...

Right. Supply chain issues.

Also the fact that politically local communities, states, and the federal government shut down as much as they could to slow COVID or flatten the curve or blah blah blah.

My point was more, politics is definitely involved in the chip shortage. I'm not saying its the only factor, but that its involved.

jjm047

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no chance of a 2021 raptor. February at the earliest. At least then they have to call it a ‘22.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Dearborn now shutting down for 2 weeks.

They are NOT shutting down. I just received info, FA was wrong and does not know the difference between Michigan Truck and Dearborn. Also I was told things are moving along. Dearborn has NOT shut down and they are at full production, with chips. I just looked and FA made correction to their article.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
They are NOT shutting down. I just received info, FA was wrong and does not know the difference between Michigan Truck and Dearborn. Also I was told things are moving along. Dearborn has NOT shut down and they are at full production, with chips. I just looked and FA made correction to their article.

LOOKS LIKE RAPTORS ARE BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS

KCHawkeye02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for many companies, this past year was a pretty expensive lesson about their supply chain redundancy and reliability.

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally some good news. Thanks for the post. My check book is ready.