How intrusive is AEB on 2nd gens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going through old posts I see that '19 is the first year for the AEB stopping the truck on it's own. I had narrowed my options to '19+ based on the active suspension and improved display, but honestly I'm not sure I want to futz with AEB. I can't think of a safe way to test it on a test drive (let me drive at this wall and see what happens...) but does it actually slam on the brakes if it thinks you are going to hit something? Can it be completely disabled without modification and without affecting other systems? Is it forward motion only or does it also check for things behind it?

If it takes over the truck against, I may decide to revert to the '18. I want to drive the truck myself, not have a computerized captain overriding my decisions. A mentor of mine, someone I deeply respected and looked up to, was killed when he stopped for a stalled vehicle in the road and got smoked by a semi behind him that couldn't stop. It hit him so hard it broke the bolts holding the driver's seat in place and launched him into the back of the car. He was dead at the scene, probably never knew he got hit. Had he evasively steered and clipped the stalled car but kept on going he'd have very likely survived. I want to maintain the option to ram something if I so choose, for that reason and others.

I see some folks in the oldest threads saying it was pretty intrusive, but given the frequency of software updates on vehicles today wanted a more current opinion. If it starts to brake but you stab the gas, will it get the message you want to keep going or will it still force you to a stop?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can afjust the interference and its pretty lenient from what Ive seen. Mine went off yesterday visually but it wont just slam on your brakes. Its honestly not a good reason to pass on the 19 and i think you are probably making a bigger deal out of something thats really a non issue.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I relocated my sensor (ADD bumper) and had some issues with it at first (not adjusted up and down correctly). You can override it by giving it some throttle. If you turn the wheel it knows it, so avoiding something would not be a problem.

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going through old posts I see that '19 is the first year for the AEB stopping the truck on it's own. I had narrowed my options to '19+ based on the active suspension and improved display, but honestly I'm not sure I want to futz with AEB. I can't think of a safe way to test it on a test drive (let me drive at this wall and see what happens...) but does it actually slam on the brakes if it thinks you are going to hit something? Can it be completely disabled without modification and without affecting other systems? Is it forward motion only or does it also check for things behind it?

If it takes over the truck against, I may decide to revert to the '18. I want to drive the truck myself, not have a computerized captain overriding my decisions. A mentor of mine, someone I deeply respected and looked up to, was killed when he stopped for a stalled vehicle in the road and got smoked by a semi behind him that couldn't stop. It hit him so hard it broke the bolts holding the driver's seat in place and launched him into the back of the car. He was dead at the scene, probably never knew he got hit. Had he evasively steered and clipped the stalled car but kept on going he'd have very likely survived. I want to maintain the option to ram something if I so choose, for that reason and others.

I see some folks in the oldest threads saying it was pretty intrusive, but given the frequency of software updates on vehicles today wanted a more current opinion. If it starts to brake but you stab the gas, will it get the message you want to keep going or will it still force you to a stop?
My 2017 emergency brakes save my skin when some yahoo brake checked me.

With the front radar on for cruise control it sometimes slows down when i have big rigs next to me which is a bit irritating. Not sure if the unit is facing straight as it seems to happen more on the right.

Last edited:

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Works great for me and you can adjust the settings, it saved my butt one time, so glad I had it on.

Navigator55

Reaction score
I’ve never had mine intervene before. I’ve gotten a light a few times when a car ahead of me is turning right and I’m approaching fast knowing it will be out is the way. But I’ve never had the brakes engage in their own (other than adaptive cruise).

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it made me shit my pants once driving at night in the rain on a dark highway, i went thru an intersection with a green light and everything lit up red and flashy as the traffic light lit up the wet windshield... i turned it off shortly thereafter..

still get the front camera warnings which is also super annoying in dust or snowing conditions.