How intrusive is AEB on 2nd gens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toolmanglenn

Reaction score
Going through old posts I see that '19 is the first year for the AEB stopping the truck on it's own. I had narrowed my options to '19+ based on the active suspension and improved display, but honestly I'm not sure I want to futz with AEB. I can't think of a safe way to test it on a test drive (let me drive at this wall and see what happens...) but does it actually slam on the brakes if it thinks you are going to hit something? Can it be completely disabled without modification and without affecting other systems? Is it forward motion only or does it also check for things behind it?

If it takes over the truck against, I may decide to revert to the '18. I want to drive the truck myself, not have a computerized captain overriding my decisions. A mentor of mine, someone I deeply respected and looked up to, was killed when he stopped for a stalled vehicle in the road and got smoked by a semi behind him that couldn't stop. It hit him so hard it broke the bolts holding the driver's seat in place and launched him into the back of the car. He was dead at the scene, probably never knew he got hit. Had he evasively steered and clipped the stalled car but kept on going he'd have very likely survived. I want to maintain the option to ram something if I so choose, for that reason and others.

I see some folks in the oldest threads saying it was pretty intrusive, but given the frequency of software updates on vehicles today wanted a more current opinion. If it starts to brake but you stab the gas, will it get the message you want to keep going or will it still force you to a stop?
I’ve only had it kick in a couple times when traffic came to a screeching stop. It wasn’t too intrusive iMO. It did beat me to the brake pedal. I kinda liked its responsiveness. I had one person cut me off and it kicked in. I stepped on the gas to stay on their ass and it knew I was the boss ! Unless your in commuting traffic, you’ll probably never test it out.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll have to check mine now. I never messed with it after I got through the initial setups once I got it home. I think I disabled the auto braking. I know it has never braked on me. I know a few times it shouted a big red warning at me, almost made me sh it myself! Every warning was when someone was turning right, off the main road, and I was going past them partly crowding the center as nobody was coming. The system cranks up thinking I'm going to as s pack someone.

Op, I definitely would not worry about it being a hassle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve only had it kick in a couple times when traffic came to a screeching stop. It wasn’t too intrusive iMO. It did beat me to the brake pedal. I kinda liked its responsiveness. I had one person cut me off and it kicked in. I stepped on the gas to stay on their ass and it knew I was the boss ! Unless your in commuting traffic, you’ll probably never test it out.

You're the second to mention you can override it by pressing the gas. That's reassuring.

Back to 2019+, then. I'm leaning more toward the Raptor, but a new Tremor is still also an option and if I thought I could live without a truck, the Bronco Wildtrak seems like a fun option. Good problem to have, I suppose, so many good options to choose from.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it made me shit my pants once driving at night in the rain on a dark highway, i went thru an intersection with a green light and everything lit up red and flashy as the traffic light lit up the wet windshield... i turned it off shortly thereafter..

still get the front camera warnings which is also super annoying in dust or snowing conditions.

Carry spare undies or wear astronaut diapers in case of rain, check.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Without adaptive cruise, my Gen 2s nor my Gen3 has ever braked itself going forward. Yes, I’ve seen that collision alert pop up on dash which is usually a false alarm but I’ll take it just in case I’m scratching my balls and not looking.

That said, the rear auto braking on the Gen3 is enough to make me crazy.