How hard to remove the exterior graphics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I removed my hood graphic a few months ago. The removal process was very easy and took me less than an hour. My truck is white, so I didn’t notice any fade. You probably won’t have any with a new truck. If I were in your shoes I would save the money and do it myself.

I would recommend the hair dryer over a heat gun. The hair dryer gets plenty hot and this isn’t a race. I would also use a clay bar over goo gone. The goo gone didn’t really do anything to speed up the process for me. Find a sharp corner, work it with some heat, and lightly pull away with a finger nail. Mine came off in pieces, which I believe made the process easier to manage.
Yeah..never use a heat gun.

You can't use clay bar on glue residue. The clay is for after you get the glue residue completely off. You can use Goo Gone successfully as long as you don't leave it on longer then what is actually needed. Don't sit there and let it soak in. But WD40 is safer for the clear and still works pretty damn good.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A quality heat gun is the correct tool to use as opposed to your mother’s hair dryer. The output from a good heat gun is infinitely adjustable and allows for the dialing down of heat and airflow to match the job......

Negative.....you're trying to destroy the paint? clearcoat? A Quality heat gun? A hairdryer...even mom's is MORE than enough heat. That's like giving someone a plasma cutter and telling them to cut the butter and not the glass dish. LORD.

Yeah go buy a heat gun dude...a quility one....don't use the standard household hairdryer odds are you already have.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Negative.....you're trying to destroy the paint? clearcoat? A Quality heat gun? A hairdryer...even mom's is MORE than enough heat. That's like giving someone a plasma cutter and telling them to cut the butter and not the glass dish. LORD.

Yeah go buy a heat gun dude...a quility one....don't use the standard household hairdryer odds are you already have.

Son, I’ve only been removing stripes for ~50 years so what would I possibly know about using the correct, quality tool for the job? A good heat gun is adjustable both from a heat and airflow perspective. The heat can be turned down enough where I can hold it a few inches from my hand. So you just keep using your mother’s hairdryer, I suspect it suits you quite well.....

I’ve seen many heat guns in some of the best detail and paint shops, I’ve never once seen a hairdryer...

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Son, I’ve only been removing stripes for ~50 years so what would I possibly know about using the correct, quality tool for the job? A good heat gun is adjustable both from a heat and airflow perspective. The heat can be turned down enough where I can hold it a few inches from my hand. So you just keep using your mother’s hairdryer, I suspect it suits you quite well.....

I’ve seen many heat guns in some of the best detail and paint shops, I’ve never once seen a hairdryer...

LOL....SON.....I hear you could use the Death Star to apply the correct amount of heat as long as you're 80 million light years away. I know you'll get that because you sound like you were 25 when Star Wars first came out.

Fact of the matter he probably doesn't own a heat gun, owns a hair dryer and it's horrible advice to tell someone to use something that's powerful enough to do damage when it isn't necessary. You're a god sticker taker offer....congrats....I'm sure you can use a heat gun to remove a sticker efficiently.....too funny.

Last edited:

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL....SON.....I hear you could use the Death Star to apply the correct amount of heat as long as you're 80 million light years away. I know you'll get that because you sound like you were 25 when Star Wars first came out.

Fact of the matter he probably doesn't own a heat gun, owns a hair dryer and it's horrible advice to tell someone to use something that's powerful enough to do damage when it isn't necessary. You're a god sticker taker offer....congrats....I'm sure you can use a heat gun to remove a sticker efficiently.....too funny.

Step away from the alcohol, you'll be fine......

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used a heat gun to take lots of vinyl stickers off of lots of heavy equipment where it wasn't the end of the world if I damaged the paint a bit and I had lots of more important tasks to be doing, but...

I have to remove the (failing) hood stripes on my Raptor and will be taking my time with a good old hair dryer because there's much less risk to the paint and ******** it up even a little will actually affect the value of the vehicle, unlike the stuff I've normally worked on.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Silly argument. A hair dryer or heat gun are both fine. The idea is to warm up the adhesive, not burn the decal off. if you're heating up one spot for 5 seconds or more...you're doing it wrong.

And it's not going to damage the paint with short passes like that. If it could, then you're going to have problems leaving your truck parked outside on a summer day.