How does the "feel" compare to the gen2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor which I got a great deal on (used) a year ago. I like it a lot - the solid feel, the (somewhat) heavy steering, the typical truck judder over bumps. It feels like a tank.

My other car is a Porsche GT4, so I like the contrast.

I have an opportunity to buy a Gen3 at a pretty favorable cost. However I'm not sure if I'll be able to drive it first. Can people comment on how the general feel of the Gen2 vs Gen3 compare? I would hate to swap out my truck and discover I like the Gen3 less.

btizzle

Reaction score
coming From a 2017 gen2 to having my new gen3 for about a week:

everything is just tighter, but it is brand new so that will be part of it.

noticeably more bottom end torque.

the interior And new tech is definitely next gen.

biggest change to me is the transmission. Best way to explain it is it just feels “smarter”. After putting a 100k miles on my gen2, the new transmission acts completely different, in a very good way.

btizzle

Reaction score
Again, it feels a lot tighter, and a little stiffer, but a lot more sporty.

Granted, my gen2 suspension was starting to get pretty soft at 100k of hard miles.

You can feel the difference in the rear suspension a little, but I would say the majority of people wouldn’t notice a huge difference in the daily ride between a new gen2 and a new gen3

V8 Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from a G2 as well. The ride and suspension in the G3 are noticeably better. To me, the truck just feels smoother and more settled. I really liked the G2, but I don't think there is anything you'll miss about it. The G3 just seems like an advancement of everything the G2 had to offer.

btizzle

Reaction score
I came from a G2 as well. The ride and suspension in the G3 are noticeably better. To me, the truck just feels smoother and more settled. I really liked the G2, but I don't think there is anything you'll miss about it. The G3 just seems like an advancement of everything the G2 had to offer.
agreed.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rear feels the same as the front now. In my gen2 the front would eat the bump or dip and the rear would always bounce or hit harder. With the new rear setup, The rear feels exactly the same as the front. Basically doesnt feel like a light end bouncing around anymore.

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coming From a 2017 gen2 to having my new gen3 for about a week:

everything is just tighter, but it is brand new so that will be part of it.

noticeably more bottom end torque.

the interior And new tech is definitely next gen.

biggest change to me is the transmission. Best way to explain it is it just feels “smarter”. After putting a 100k miles on my gen2, the new transmission acts completely different, in a very good way.
I second this, low end torque feels stronger and the transmission shifts so much better than the gen2 did stock. Without driving them right after another (I had a month between selling my gen2 and getting the gen3) I feel like the new transmission mapping is similar to what a TCM tune on the gen2 from Goose felt like. Not quite there, but close IMO.