How does GUA 12.1 compare to Phoenix screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurator

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just received an email from GUAutotech about release of version 2 of their screens.
Seems that backup camera works out of the box.

Do you think it is worth 2,299? Seems to be more expensive compared to Phoenix?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Price wise, there is no comparison. You can buy 2 phx units for that price. It also looks lie the GUA doesn't really get much to you other than a bigger screen, and I believe you lose SYNC functions. With phx, you retain sync, and you get full access to anything in the google play store. That said, phx is rather buggy, and their support is about the worst I've ever seen. GUA can't be much worse.

If I had to do it all again, I don't think I'd do either. I think I'd leave the head unit alone and maybe add a tablet in the truck somehow.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my Phoenix unit and while
It isn’t universally perfect... it’s a huge upgrade over stock.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love my Phoenix unit and while
It isn’t universally perfect... it’s a huge upgrade over stock.

My backup camera works...sometimes. More accurately, there appears to be a connection problem between sync and the unit, as console works sometimes as well. My other issue is that bluetooth doesn't work at all.

I've considered pulling it apart and back together again to see if that fixes anything. My right AC knob is also a little loose and could fix that as well. However, I am afraid I won't be able to fix and will end up breaking something else.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had three of these now...

and that’s exactly what you have to do. The plugs are very finicky and even after 3 installs and pulling the dash apart many other times for audio and tech projects... I still had to adjust all my connectors after my last install.

also, MCU 50 is the version to use. Anything newer and I have issues.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had 2 - the first was pure garbage. The current version works, at least for me, very well. I LOVE that it is a hybrid system where carplay still works through sync (I use sync a lot). I love that I can use waze full screen, and still use siri via sync to make calls or play a song without interrupting the screen. I can watch youtube tv and pretty much everything else you can do on a tablet. You do need a hotspot though, my 2018 did not come with one so I use the ATT Harman Spark. Tethering from an iphone works, but you have to connect it EVERY time you get in the truck and it becomes a chore. I have a special adapter for the spark so I can just plug it into power and NOT use the OBD2 port as I have a gauge plugged in there. Anyhow, the only requirement is to get Sergey's firmware for $100, totally makes the unit look OEM. Whenever phoenix releases a unit with better resolution I'll be all over that as the 768x1080 is a bit grainy.