How do bypass shocks in the rear give you more travel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John Rathjen

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Yea a Live Valve 4 or 5 tube ext bypass would be the best of both worlds.

The Live Valve sure seems cool, but what if say the compression dampening is good, but you need a little more rebound? You're basically stuck - the 3-position switch isn't going to help you, because it's most likely gonna change the overall dampening - both compression and rebound - at the same time.

To do specific tuning, we'll have to open up the shock and start making shim stack changes. Quite a bit more complicated than twisting some clickers. Any idea how pricey custom tuning would be? You'd pretty much have to have a tuner come out and watch your truck over some whoops and/or jumps, then go back to his shop for the shock tear-down and rebuild. I would think this could get real expensive real quick.

CR - are you going with the new Factory Race Live Valves? If so I'll eagerly await your feedback on these!

OP
OP
John Rathjen

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Hey guys I just found this on the Off-Road Research website. This might be a game changer for our Live Valve trucks!!

"Our upcoming Integrated Dynamics Platform consists of a drop-in replacement ECU that allows you to tune and adjust your electronic shocks on the fly via our integrated App. It works with your stock Raptor electronic shocks or with our Patent-pending electronic reservoir which can be added to any monotube-based damper of your choice with a remote reservoir. This system allows your existing vehicle and favorite dampers to gain the ORR advantage of Intelligent Vehicle Dynamics."

https://www.orrsrch.com/

Reaction score
Hey guys I just found this on the Off-Road Research website. This might be a game changer for our Live Valve trucks!!

"Our upcoming Integrated Dynamics Platform consists of a drop-in replacement ECU that allows you to tune and adjust your electronic shocks on the fly via our integrated App. It works with your stock Raptor electronic shocks or with our Patent-pending electronic reservoir which can be added to any monotube-based damper of your choice with a remote reservoir. This system allows your existing vehicle and favorite dampers to gain the ORR advantage of Intelligent Vehicle Dynamics."

yeah, this technology is here. I’m sure right around the corner for availability. Shock Therapy worked with Fox, and now offers a stand-alone system that can be added to a UTV with Fox shocks. It has three settings that can be adjusted via a switch on the dash while off roading. Game changer for sure.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

IIRC it isn't particularly spendy to schedule time with KDM or someone similar to get a tuning session down. SVC didn't charge me anything. I think king still does it for free too. I just dropped the coin to have KDM rebuild and refinish all of my shocks and bumps (which isn't cheap) and I'm looking forward to getting a tuning session scheduled once everything else is done.

Yeah, however, I'm not switching from kings to fox just to bolt someone else's spendy reservoir on. I hope monotube doesn't mean non-bypass.

yeah, this technology is here. I’m sure right around the corner for availability. Shock Therapy worked with Fox, and now offers a stand-alone system that can be added to a UTV with Fox shocks. It has three settings that can be adjusted via a switch on the dash while off roading. Game changer for sure.

Have you ridden in one of the live valve utvs? is it a noticeable difference? worth it? I kinda want to do one of those knine mini-raptor things and get it street legal. I can't think of a grocery getter that would make me smile more.

Reaction score
Have you ridden in one of the live valve utvs? is it a noticeable difference? worth it? I kinda want to do one of those knine mini-raptor things and get it street legal. I can't think of a grocery getter that would make me smile more.[/QUOTE]
IIRC it isn't particularly spendy to schedule time with KDM or someone similar to get a tuning session down. SVC didn't charge me anything. I think king still does it for free too. I just dropped the coin to have KDM rebuild and refinish all of my shocks and bumps (which isn't cheap) and I'm looking forward to getting a tuning session scheduled once everything else is done.

Yeah, however, I'm not switching from kings to fox just to bolt someone else's spendy reservoir on. I hope monotube doesn't mean non-bypass.

Have you ridden in one of the live valve utvs? is it a noticeable difference? worth it? I kinda want to do one of those knine mini-raptor things and get it street legal. I can't think of a grocery getter that would make me smile more.

Yes I have. They are very impressive. A button for every terrain and you truly feel the difference. Similar to the 19 Raptor, but better. A KNine Raptor is on my list of stupid things to spend my money on!

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

Yes I have. They are very impressive. A button for every terrain and you truly feel the difference. Similar to the 19 Raptor, but better. A KNine Raptor is on my list of stupid things to spend my money on![/QUOTE]

you should ask randy savage if he wants one. ( so you can build it and play with it before he comes to get it.) :angels2:

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This system is not the same as live valve.....without sensors for wheel speed or shaft speed these are different

Reaction score
This system is not the same as live valve.....without sensors for wheel speed or shaft speed these are different

correct. I was responding to swatdoc comment. A stand alone system lets you adjust the ride and not rely on the sensors and all the other mumbo jumbo. And mostly, my point is/was, the technology is finally hear, between King and Fox, new systems on the horizon, the days of twisting tubes before a Glamis trip, and then changing those settings and making huge adjustments for a desert trip, might soon just be a push of a button. Like the RZR.

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Within a certain window yes..... Electronic suspension adjusting can only take you so far...There will still be a need for someone to place the right valve and shim stack combination....