How did you come to afford your raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummmm.....you don’t have to pay your student loans

I’m not a deadbeat so we’re paying my wife’s grad loans off (down to like $15k & the 2nd biggest nut we got to crack after our mortgage so no biggie) - but yeah....you don’t have to pay em right now, and if ya do it’s @ 0% rate, & while I emphatically wholeheartedly disagree w/ it, seems like they’re gonna get wiped clean anyhow, put your $$$ into something else that’ll give you ROI

funny you mention this. We have 3 federal student loans. For whatever reason, 1 payment ceased and the other two never did. We couldn’t figure out or understand why. We didn’t fight it, it is what it is.

The other thing I was really looking into was how much we gross vs. net. So breaking down, let’s say $120k gross.

16% federal tax
3% state tax
2% local tax
16% 401k
4% Roth
$490 per month health and vision

So bringing home a lot less, ends up being about $58,000.

mortgage, childcare, insurance, utility, cell phones, current car payments... all adds up. Plus our freaking property taxes just skyrocketed.

and groceries now, fu** em. Food is just insane.

hard to budget additional funds to the truck when every time you turn around something costs more money.

property insurance and taxes will never go anywhere but up.

food will only go up

health insurance will only go up

up, up, up.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
funny you mention this. We have 3 federal student loans. For whatever reason, 1 payment ceased and the other two never did. We couldn’t figure out or understand why. We didn’t fight it, it is what it is.

The other thing I was really looking into was how much we gross vs. net. So breaking down, let’s say $120k gross.

16% federal tax
3% state tax
2% local tax
16% 401k
4% Roth
$490 per month health and vision

So bringing home a lot less, ends up being about $58,000.

mortgage, childcare, insurance, utility, cell phones, current car payments... all adds up. Plus our freaking property taxes just skyrocketed.

and groceries now, fu** em. Food is just insane.

hard to budget additional funds to the truck when every time you turn around something costs more money.

property insurance and taxes will never go anywhere but up.

food will only go up

health insurance will only go up

up, up, up.

Well shit I’d tell ya to try growing/selling weed but govt took that over already lol!

all I can say is this....my wife & I currently gross $300k +\- & I had about a 4-5 year stretch where I was making $350k +\- on my own while my wife started her career in architecture & as she got more traction I opted to take a lower paying gig but w/ much more stability/lower stress, why? She was making more & we started having kids.

When she was in grad school & bartending I was starting to break 6 figures in my industry but overall income was tight- had a condo mortgage payment/HOAs etc....but back then what I used to do was “rip the bandaid off” in terms of immediately withdrawing $$$ for all my bills & sending whatever else I could budget every week/2weeks into a savings account that I chopped up the debit card to the first day I got it. Even if it was $25, every pay check $$$ went there, & what was left over we held in literal cash to cover entertainment/groceries/clothes etc.....I found when you looking @ literal paper money it’s easier to be stingy w/ it vs Apple Pay & cards etc

Then once I accumulated $70k (which looking back on it seemed impossible then but I 10000% contribute to my basic bit*h cash in hand method) we put down payment on a house in burbs & rented the condo....it sucked b/c I had to upkeep both properties myself & had a bout of deadbeat tenants for a bit....but when things WERE working it would result in a bump in excess income that I religiously split evenly 3 ways: cash savings, pay down bad debt, invest in portfolio...that was 15-16 years

then we had our first kid, had just gotten rid of the bad tenant & I said screw it & fixed the condo up & sold it- doubling my initial investment.

the real estate profit I did the same thing, however I weighted much more heavily toward any bad debt including our current vehicle loans @ the time which when i traded in enabled us to pay off our vehicles in full within 2 years in perpetuity essentially.

Which NOW - despite making a good amount relatively speaking (we live in MA so cost of living/taxes quite high) our single largest bill is day care for 2 kids that started @ $3550/month, dropped to $3250 & I think now that my oldest is full time K again & only does part time daycare it’ll be $3k even (yay!!!!) so we are still crushed by bills, but the way we make it work? No car payments, mortgage refi’d 4x now down to a 10 year & 2.35% @ $2300/month all in w/ taxes

point is- real estate, being diligent about both paying debt & putting something ANYTHING always into savings & being patient will work out for you.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well shit I’d tell ya to try growing/selling weed but govt took that over already lol!

Don't rule that out so quickly. Weed has been legal here for years and something interesting happened. First, the state got so greedy with taxes that there is a lot of money under the table. Two, because of Federal RICO laws, there isn't a bank in the country that will handle credit card receipts from a pot shop. That means weed is a cash business. Guess what? You put those things together and you get a lot of bootlegging. The probability of getting caught appears to be low since I've only seen one story of someone getting busted and he made a glass of water look like Einstein. If I wasn't retired and afraid to risk my nest egg by committing what is still a Federal crime, I'd be all over this one.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are all fooked in the end until we audit the fed and take back control of our money supply.

Endless Wars, Endless Inflation, Endless Suffering.

Maybe someday our country will get another Trump and we can get back what our founding fathers created: True Freedom

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are all fooked in the end until we audit the fed and take back control of our money supply.

Maybe someday our country will get another Trump and we can get back what our founding fathers created: True Freedom

Oh here we go - The whole thread will change with the Trump card thrown in.

tical

Reaction score

giphy.gif

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Ex-Army heavy equipment mechanic -> Baghdad Iraq "Mar 2003 - June 2004"-> Medicaled out in 2005 = VA Disability.
Used Army money for local IT school for Software cause computers are the future. Worked for 2 different startup companies that got bought out by some of the largest players in the industry and banked cause of it. Currently a Software Engineer for one of them going on 12 years now.
Invested in Bitcoin very early on.