How concerning is buying a G2 without Cam Phasers addressed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever been as confused about an issue as I have been with these cam phasers:

1) I don't understand what happens if they're not fixed. Does my engine blow? Does it just keep sounding funny on cold starts?
2) I don't understand the relationship between reprogramming the ECU and the cam phasers.
3) My '19 just had the cam phasers replaced because it sounded like a bunch of ball bearings rattling around during a cold start. After replacing the cam phasers, the engine sounds *exactly* the same as it did before. I figure I have documentation that they're done so I'm not sure I should care?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever been as confused about an issue as I have been with these cam phasers:

1) I don't understand what happens if they're not fixed. Does my engine blow? Does it just keep sounding funny on cold starts?
2) I don't understand the relationship between reprogramming the ECU and the cam phasers.
3) My '19 just had the cam phasers replaced because it sounded like a bunch of ball bearings rattling around during a cold start. After replacing the cam phasers, the engine sounds *exactly* the same as it did before. I figure I have documentation that they're done so I'm not sure I should care?
It just makes everyone around cringe when you start it up.. once there's oil pressure every thing is fine

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

1. No. It’s just a rattle on cold start until oil pressure builds in the top end.
2. The calibration was causing them to wear out due to the duty cycle they were being operated under.
3. If you had yours replaced and it sounds the same, you either got a faulty replacement part or it wasn’t the cause of the noise in the first place. The wastegates will exhibit some rattle noise when cold, which is normal.

pjbeats

Reaction score
Just had my 2019 done under warranty with 25k miles (40k kms) here in Canada. Sounds much better now so assume it’s fixed. I took a quick cold start video and the service rep took my phone to the head mechanic back in the shop and he watched the 30 second video and said “yep, get it booked, needs cam phasers done”. Was super simple. They had it for 1 day. But it took 3 months to get all the parts. Drove it all summer with the sound but no issues.

Todd Miller

Reaction score
My 2018 Raptor has no issues, 20k miles. If your under 70k miles, Ford does cams for free or todays price is $2500.00. I just dropped off the Raptor and will wait for the we’re done call.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's around $3k to have it done at the dealership.
There you go. It's $3K concerning.

If you are buying a $60K used Gen 2 Raptor, $3K for the repair down the road (and you will need it if they are crapping the bed at under 50K already) should not be the end of the world- but you know how it goes with opening up an engine. Sometimes they have to go back in and do it again because the new part failed too, or something leaks, or something is left unhooked. It's just a general PITA having any major engine work done.

At least some of the techs that have been there for a while might have done enough to get good at it.

WireNutz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the price is right, it wouldn't be a concern for me. Check to see if the recall has been done with an oasis report. If it has not been done and no report of the phasers being replaced under warranty. I would try and work the 3k repair cost into the deal if you want the truck.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my recall done and it sounds worse after. I am still under powertrain so I might have them do it but it may just not be worth it if it won't cause a failure point down the road.