How concerning is buying a G2 without Cam Phasers addressed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C7M7

Reaction score
I was looking into getting a Raptor but the ones that have my interest haven’t had the factory recall done on the Cam Phasers. They are around 50k miles therefore I would think they are due to them eventually.

I would be trading in both my cars and money is tight but I wouldn’t like to be stuck with that problem.

After doing some digging I saw that the recall is out of date now meaning that for the trucks that come up with the issue now they are SOL.

What is the likelihood that these Raptors will come up with this issue even around this mileage? And down the line what is the likelihood of this reappearing?

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About as concerning as it can be TO YOU. Lots of variables here, I’m at 36k on mine and no issues yet. Any car can have issues whether new or used or common or not. Not a dig at you but if money would be too tight to handle a repair maybe wait a little longer until it’s not so tight? Or purchase extended warranty if possible?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there was no recall. they extended the warranty on the phasers.. im not 100% of the details, but i believe its a prorated repair if you are out of the 5/60K powertrain. otherwise it should be 100% covered.

im at 54K on my 2019 and will be taking it soon, but really it doesnt affect anything except making everyone cringe when it starts up..

there is some new parts out there that supposedly are lasting forever, too bad my truck was made about a month before the good parts were being used..

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The recall was to reprogram the PCM. It would extend the warranty for the phaser issue if it comes up. If a truck crosses 50k w/o the issue happening, it’s not a guarantee that it definitely will occur. Not all trucks suffer from this problem. Mines a 2017 with almost 44k and never made a peep.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I was looking into getting a Raptor but the ones that have my interest haven’t had the factory recall done on the Cam Phasers. They are around 50k miles therefore I would think they are due to them eventually.

I would be trading in both my cars and money is tight but I wouldn’t like to be stuck with that problem.
Welcome to FRF!

First, most trucks never have the problem, despite what you read on the internet. Second, we’re talking... IIRC, something like 3% of all F150s, including Raptors affected. Third, if it does happen to you, ok... cam phaser park failure. sounds like @$$, but doesn’t really cause any issues other than sounding like @$$. Fourth, if you get a clean “cold start” meaning the seller didn’t start the vehicle to bring it up to you and don’t hear it, then it’s probably not present in the truck you’re looking at. That said, it has to be a cold soak start; at least 8 hours since previous shut down and preferably overnight.

The reprogram is key, that’s the “fix”. Hard parts are the workaround. Both are best.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the recall wasn't performed and the repair would be on you I would not do it. If money is tight then this is def not the truck for you.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It's around $3k to have it done at the dealership. Not the end of the world and not something that has to be repaired to make it to work on Monday if it pops up on a Friday.
Depending on how much you drive, may never be an issue.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

After doing some digging I saw that the recall is out of date now meaning that for the trucks that come up with the issue now they are SOL.

What is the likelihood that these Raptors will come up with this issue even around this mileage? And down the line what is the likelihood of this reappearing?
We have 10k miles on our Gen2 and haven't had the problem pop up, but we still have low miles. It's and miss with cam phasers on Raptors, some have it really bad, others never pop up. I wonder if you could pay to get the recall done.

AvalancheGrey2017

Reaction score
We have 10k miles on our Gen2 and haven't had the problem pop up, but we still have low miles. It's and miss with cam phasers on Raptors, some have it really bad, others never pop up. I wonder if you could pay to get the recall done.
Ford will 100% take your money for anything. Just to add an additional data point, I have a 2017 with over 50k on it. I did have the reprogram and it was just in for another grind under warranty where I asked them to take a look at the phaser. No issues, and no issues prior to the reprogram that I'm aware of. If you are shopping take a look at alllll the seals. Just had both front axle seals replaced and the pinion seal.