Horrible customer service experience at Rock Auto.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't go into great detail but outside of the fact that they have no customer service phone number, I purchased a part from them that was guaranteed delivery within three business days. The shipping company that they used admittedly re-routed the package and it was going to take an extra seven days on top of the three that I waited. So I told the shipping company to send it back because I could order a new part by the time that one came. The shipping company was willing to eat the cost on the shipment because they screwed it up. But because I paid for the shipping through Rock Auto, they couldn't reimburse me. So I emailed Rock Auto and they said they would refund the total for the part but that I was still responsible for the shipping. Great customer service! I even had the contact information and the case number from the shipping company and gave it to Rock Auto but they won't do anything with it. I gave them the chance but they decided the $30 was better spent on negative advertising than on customer service. I will never order from them again.

Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't buy from them if you have a designated time frame in which you need the part.

I'm sure the online sales have made a big dent on local part stores, but it will never kill off brick and mortar parts stores. Most people don't have an extra vehicle and can't wait for parts.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't buy from them if you have a designated time frame in which you need the part.

I'm sure the online sales have made a big dent on local part stores, but it will never kill off brick and mortar parts stores. Most people don't have an extra vehicle and can't wait for parts.

This^, I can't tell you how many times the parts will not show up FOR WEEKS even when they are shown to be in stock. If you have multiple vehicles it's not a huge deal, but if you really need something I wouldn't bother. They usually have killer prices, but there is definitely a downside to dealing with them.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had them charge a "restocking fee" in the past, even though they sent me the wrong parts and I had to return them... Wondered if that was part of the business model. Not a fan myself...

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I would think you could do a charge back on your card? Worth a shot anyway. They gauranteed 3 days.

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's disappointing to hear. I've had nothing but positive experiences using them.

I did have a power steering pump reservoir show for my Cherokee so up cracked, but was able to return it for a full refund.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All things related to shipping has always been Rock Auto's achilles heel. They still operate as if its 1997 in terms of shipping costs and logistics. Don't really get it, given their size.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All things related to shipping has always been Rock Auto's achilles heel. They still operate as if its 1997 in terms of shipping costs and logistics. Don't really get it, given their size.

Given that EVERYTHING they sell is shipped, yeah, it's pretty pathetic.

Your username sounds like the AA for teenagers...