Hillbillie Ranch - part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_revisionist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Met up with @N0MAD at Hillbillie this morning and spent a few hours doing the trails etc there. We found a section for some fast runs so got a little video too. Was a lot of fun, both trucks did great, climbed up some tricky muddy slopes and got pretty muddy. I also managed to get stuck trying to get across a mud pit, so @N0MAD had to pull me out. Luckily i'd already rigged up my tow rope in case I got stuck and I managed to not fall into the knee deep mud lol.

Was fun, definitely want to get a few more people for next time. Maybe hit St Joe next time for some faster paced stuff. Was cool meeting another forum user, would be cool to get more Raptors there next time.

Pics first, will follow up with video:

3hSop9c.jpg

so5Lg1i.jpg

IDzObJp.jpg

bycDTy9.jpg

3Lg3SNQ.jpg

ZVViimY.jpg

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I would love to go, I never heard of Hillbilly Ranch before, it's only 1 Hr. 12 min. from my house.

I'll have to check it out sometime. I usually go to Mark Twain down near Potosi but the Raptor is a little wide for some trails as they don't keep up with trimming like they should.

Been thinking about buying a Sthil with interchangeable hedge trimmer and chainsaw to cut them back myself on the trails that take us to our favorite shooting place.

Don't really care to scratch up the sides of my Raptor like I did to my 2014 F150 FX4.

I need to start finding other places to camp, trail ride and shoot.

N0MAD

Reaction score
I would love to go, I never heard of Hillbilly Ranch before, it's only 1 Hr. 12 min. from my house.

I'll have to check it out sometime. I usually go to Mark Twain down near Potosi but the Raptor is a little wide for some trails as they don't keep up with trimming like they should.

Been thinking about buying a Sthil with interchangeable hedge trimmer and chainsaw to cut them back myself on the trails that take us to our favorite shooting place.

Don't really care to scratch up the sides of my Raptor like I did to my 2014 F150 FX4.

I need to start finding other places to camp, trail ride and shoot.

We actually had to chop down a decent-sized branch coming out of a creek bed because my rack / roof was going to rub against it going up the hill. Chainsaw would be a good idea.

We plan on hitting up St. Joe for a weekend to trail ride / camp. You're more than welcome to join!

That looks like a blast! I’m jealous

You'll have to come next time man!

Reaction score

Where at in Potosi Mark Twain do you go? Council Bluff Lake is one of my favorite places to mountain bike.

Hillbillie Ranch is about 45 minutes from my house. Let me know next time you guys go and maybe I can tag along. My truck is bone stock with the only modification being a changed out FM antenna. What provisions do you recommend to bring? Tow strap? Anything else?

It looks like that only the tailings area are for vehicles and the wooded areas are for dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, and SxS's at St. Joes.

OP
OP
the_revisionist

the_revisionist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where at in Potosi Mark Twain do you go? Council Bluff Lake is one of my favorite places to mountain bike.

Hillbillie Ranch is about 45 minutes from my house. Let me know next time you guys go and maybe I can tag along. My truck is bone stock with the only modification being a changed out FM antenna. What provisions do you recommend to bring? Tow strap? Anything else?

It looks like that only the tailings area are for vehicles and the wooded areas are for dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, and SxS's at St. Joes.

Will do, more than welcome to come next time. Tow strap is definitely recommended, I have 2 straps plus some D ring shackles (both of which came in handy when I got stuck in a mud pit on this last visit). If you get a strap, make sure its long and strong enough. Mine is rated way over the weight of my truck, and was a lifesaver on this last trip.

I also have a shovel, machete and some other stuff just in case. I used the machete a few times on this visit to chop down low branches etc but generally the trails there are easy to fit through in a Raptor. Otherwise a stock truck should be able to handle a lot of Hillbillies trails no problems. I'd also recommend a seat cover and probably overalls, as you may get muddy and cleaning mud off your seats sucks. Also having a change of clothes is a good idea in case you do get covered in mud.

Trucks are limited to the tailings area at St Joe, it's fun for going fast across the sand and skidding around, and there's a little bit of adventuring that can be done. However you're not allowed on the trails there in a road vehicle. Hillbillie is better for trails, St Joe is better for going fast, though of the two I prefer Hillbillie as there is more to do and I enjoy the adventuring & conquering tricky trails part.

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just a quick question Scott. I'm trying to get in the world of mountain/trail bike riding and I've been looking for bikes online. Any brand you recommend? Not trying to spend thousands on a starter one lol.