Hillbillie Ranch - Jerseyville IL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_revisionist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went up to Hillbillie Ranch today, (Jerseyville IL) in my Raptor, along with a buddy who took his Polaris RZR. Wasn't sure what to expect as the pictures online we'd found mostly looked like just a mud pit. When we arrived there were only 2 or 3 vehicles there, which meant (for a while at least) we were pretty much on our own.

What an awesome place! There is a central staging area, and it has multiple areas surrounding it; a huge mud pit, lots of trails (ranging from very easy to some very steep / difficult slopes & creek crossings, a couple of which were practically sheer drops), and the best part; a huge field with what felt like a rally stage around the edge; complete with long fast straights, some bends, and mud pits.

We were there for probably 4 hours or so and had a blast. We also helped unstick a Jeep, and did some timed laps on the field section. The Raptor was a beast the whole day, didn't skip a beat. There was only one steep slope out of a creek that defeated me, the ruts were just too deep. The rest of the time I had no issues, and the fast section on the field I got up to 70mph+, which was an adrenaline rush. For a heavy truck, it can definitely fly over the dirt when you put your foot down hard (which I did, a lot).

Most of the trails (probably 80%) were easily wide enough to fit the Raptor which was my main concern. For some of the tight trails, there was plenty of space to park up, so I could ride with my buddy in the RZR. Staff there seemed helpful and the place overall was well kept. There was a mix of vehicles there; ATVs, dirtbikes, RZRs, some trucks and Jeeps. There was one convoy of cars, all of which were totally out of their element, including a BMW and even a Corvette which was funny to see.

Overall very much recommend this place, and will be back again some time soon (hopefully with more people!).

Pics, ranging from soon after arriving, to when we were ready to leave.

YIldGWT.jpg

VCsTCMr.jpg

CdaiVIW.jpg

B7A8kw8.jpg

3z7061q.jpg

pkGxlNw.jpg

btrGCzG.jpg

49ifyOK.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

That looks to be about 4hrs away from me. Looks fun but don’t care much for mud though. Don’t get me wrong if I am on a trail and we run up against mud, I will run it.

I travel more than 8hrs to go to a TRR event twice a year and lately the rain gods let it pour and mud, mud, mud. I run it because I drove so dang far.

Is this place always muddy or does it dry up during the hotter summer months?

Also south of there is St. Joe park, I have been there and got up to 70 too.

OP
OP
the_revisionist

the_revisionist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks to be about 4hrs away from me. Looks fun but don’t care much for mud though. Don’t get me wrong if I am on a trail and we run up against mud, I will run it.

I travel more than 8hrs to go to a TRR event twice a year and lately the rain gods let it pour and mud, mud, mud. I run it because I drove so dang far.

Is this place always muddy or does it dry up during the hotter summer months?

Also south of there is St. Joe park, I have been there and got up to 70 too.

The mud was for the most part (I think apart from one crossing) completely optional. And that one crossing had an “easy” path around the edge. It was pretty dry dirt for the most part, the majority of the mud was in the big pit or in the field with the course around the edge; even then it could be avoided. Of course, it was dry today, so I can’t speak for a wet day. I likely could have come back mostly mud free, perhaps some on the tires and not much else (see my first pic, that was prior to intentionally taking on the mud pits, and right after going through the one on the crossing).

Majority of the trails were mud free, so I think during summer it would be completely dry, save for a couple of parts. The trails kinda loop around so really there are other options all over the place, with a ton of space to turn around.

St Joe is fun, I’ve been there a number of times.

Last edited:

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a complete blast! Shocked it wasn’t busy for a weekend. Same as RDFTS I’m pry 4-5 hours away but would pry make a little weekend trip to go to the park a couple days in a row.

Last edited:

N0MAD

Reaction score
A little less than 5 hours away from me.

If there is a meet organized sometime this summer, I would be down to tag along (if you guys don't mind a Gen 1 being there haha.)

Maybe some camping?

Looks like a fun time.

OP
OP
the_revisionist

the_revisionist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little less than 5 hours away from me.

If there is a meet organized sometime this summer, I would be down to tag along (if you guys don't mind a Gen 1 being there haha.)

Maybe some camping?

Looks like a fun time.

That’d be awesome. My buddy with the RZR is talking to another friend about taking his drone and cameras to get some footage of an outing there, would be awesome to get a few more Raptors there. Gen 1’s are just as welcome as Gen 2’s.

OP
OP
the_revisionist

the_revisionist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious to see how many people would be down if I organized a meet up in June / July. Guys that are travelling from afar could camp there as they have camping available I believe.

There's also St. Joe if you guys wanted to go on the sand as well, it's not that far from Hillbillie Ranch.

I'm down, and my buddy would bring his RZR and Jeep. Plus probably another couple of friends, one with an F150 and another guy with a Jeep.

Who else would be down?