GEN 1 Hill Descent Control Fault / Service AdvanceTrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh Fox

Reaction score
So I just picked up a 2014 Ford Raptor and having an issue. This is coming from my wife, as I am overseas, and she can not remember exactly what it says on the dash and has been trying to replicate the issue.

Randomly from time to time the traction control dash indicator will flash and a message pops up about something needing serviced. She said it is something along the lines of "Off Terrain Needs Serviced". Anyone else faced similar issue or know what it might say and mean?

I have searched this forum and the web and have come up short handed. I am sure it is something that is known but I have not found the proper keywords to find it. Any help would be wonderful.

EDIT:

She was able to replicate it. It says Hill Descent Control Fault and then Service AdvanceTrac. From searching seems like it could be any number of sensors, steering rack, hubs, third brake light....... Guess it will see its way to the Ford dealer to see if they can diagnose it.

Last edited:

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have the 3rd brake light checked for water , water will get into lens an short out the 3 LED's cause a bunch of your issues

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rear wheel speed sensors. Mine is doing it on and off on my Gen 2

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

OP
OP
Josh Fox

Josh Fox

Reaction score
Thanks guys, will have it checked out. Dealer we bought it from is going to take a look and fix it when the new shocks I worked into the sale arrives. They stated they will fix it due to it doing it the day after we got the truck.

OP
OP
Josh Fox

Josh Fox

Reaction score
UPDATE: Took it to local Ford dealership to pull the codes.

P193C:00-68 PCM
B1215:00-28 APIM
C1278-20 ABS

Optional Equipment Modules:

Fail -FCDIM
Fail - FDIM

Anyone have any insight to these? After searching I have not found much information. The service department thinks it is the steering wheel angle sensor due to the P193C code (Steering Wheel Angle Signal).

mccoy1132

Reaction score
just had Hill Descent control fault , service advancetrac, and check brake system all come on at one time while drivingback from Austin. Checked 3rd brake light and no moisture and even changed bulbs. Cleaned Mass air flow sensor. Still getting alerts. How do i check rear speed sensors ? All advice and suggestions appreciated

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it could be any wheel sensor. usually the rears due to rocks and crap being kicked up and bouncing back to the rear. maybe start by checking the wires going to them

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just had Hill Descent control fault , service advancetrac, and check brake system all come on at one time while drivingback from Austin. Checked 3rd brake light and no moisture and even changed bulbs. Cleaned Mass air flow sensor. Still getting alerts. How do i check rear speed sensors ? All advice and suggestions appreciated

There are a lot of possibilities, you really need to pull DTCs to get an idea of where to start. Do you have ForScan?

j2k

Reaction score
I had this issue on my 2014 Screw. I dealt with it for about a year before I finally brought it to the dealer. It turned out to be a bad steering angle sensor (located in the steering wheel itself). I had it replaced and its been good to go ever since.