GEN 1 high pitched squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a good one for you guys. thoughts on a high pitched squeal coming from the drivers front wheel area. this only makes noise when im on the gas. the moment i let off the gas, it goes away. starts right around 20mph or so. it does not do it in 4wd i just found out. it almost sounds like a thin piece of metal is rubbing but i have checked the entire wheel area and the back plate and nothing is making contact. so what are everyones thoughts?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
got a good one for you guys. thoughts on a high pitched squeal coming from the drivers front wheel area. this only makes noise when im on the gas. the moment i let off the gas, it goes away. starts right around 20mph or so. it does not do it in 4wd i just found out. it almost sounds like a thin piece of metal is rubbing but i have checked the entire wheel area and the back plate and nothing is making contact. so what are everyones thoughts?
Doesn't do it in 4wd. First thought is an IWE issue of some sort.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing in my brakes. and its not a brake noise. at first i thought it was the pan behind the rotor, it wasnt. but if the pan was rubbing, thats whout it would sound like. like a think piece of metal rubbing or vibrating omewhere.

ckelley64

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Raptor and it has made that same noise for the past two years. I have had it looked at twice, and the mechanics cannot identify what it is. It is frustrating.

kennyh

Reaction score
Replaced the front brake pads in my 2011, which placed the caliper further away from the rotor. This caused a chirp at each of the front wheel area. Turns out the stick on wheel weights on the inside of the stock 17 inch wheels were rubbing the caliper at each revolution, causing the chirp. Only choice was to rebalance and locate the weights on the outside....no more chirping!

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this happens only on acceleration or maintaining speed. the moment i let off the gas it goes away. and doesnt do it in 4wd. i think if it wss wheel weight issue, it would happen regardless.

KCM

Reaction score
this happens only on acceleration or maintaining speed. the moment i let off the gas it goes away. and doesnt do it in 4wd. i think if it wss wheel weight issue, it would happen regardless.
I have had this problem for the last 6 months on my ‘13. Same exact symptoms. I’ve heard it can be coming from the throttle body or some kind of intake whistle. Let me know if you have figured it out or know more information.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had this problem for the last 6 months on my ‘13. Same exact symptoms. I’ve heard it can be coming from the throttle body or some kind of intake whistle. Let me know if you have figured it out or know more information.
mine turned out to be a vaccum line for the 4wd