High mileage owners please check in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
367k!!! That's awesome. In my quest for replacing valve springs I came across one old post here on FRF that mentioned those rocker tips collapsing but there was never any explanation or elaboration (this was from like '11 and I think warranty just replaced the rocker assemblies). What was your symptoms, just noisy? Still factory valve springs?
Yeah just noise. Had a tick/knock. Almost sounded like an exhaust leak or lifter. But would go away after it warmed up. When it became constant is when i pulled it all apart. It do really wish i had time to do a new cam... all factory internals. I have and was going to do new springs and seals while i was in but when i saw the damage to the cam i figured itd be a waste of time...

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am officially high mileage.

130,000 miles on the clock.

Tuned since 45,000, COBB then MPT.

Things changed:

- Tires (55,000)
- Vacuum line for the auto locking hubs (4A) (98,000)
- Oil/Filters every 5k.

TSB:
- Tail gate
- Trans (mission)

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2011 with almost 370k. View attachment 382177

first major problem had some rocker arms go bad. The little pluger on the valve side got weak. And have some damage to the cam. Anyone have an idea on what could cause this type of damage? Maybe the lobe and rocker roller having slack between them?

replaced all rockers but left the cam because of necessity. Truck runs great still. KOW. Just some rattle when cold start al low temperatures
View attachment 382175View attachment 382178

Bbk trottle body, s and b cold air, msd coils and wires, kooks long tube headers and high flow cats, full race aluminum radiator and oversized trans cooler, tunes from 5 star.
Wow impressive mileage! The plunger you mention is the hydraulic lash adjuster. The 6.2 valvetrain is somewhat unique in that it has shaft mount rockers with a lash adjuster between the rocker arm and valve tip.

In your case, the lash adjuster failed hydraulically or got stuck, causing excessive clearance between the cam, rocker arm roller, and valve tip. That creates a hammering effect on the cam lobe and roller, because the roller is no longer held against the cam at zero lash as the lobe rotates. The eventual result is the erosion of the cam material visible in your photos.

With the damage to the cam, it will wear on the new rocker arm roller and both will eventually fail. It will also cause metal debris to end up in the cylinder head, which will cause further issues. The cam should definitely be replaced, along with any other damaged rockers. It’s a big job since the timing cover and chains need to be removed, but at that mileage it wouldn’t be a bad idea to replace the chain/guides/tensioners while you’re in there anyway.

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow impressive mileage! The plunger you mention is the hydraulic lash adjuster. The 6.2 valvetrain is somewhat unique in that it has shaft mount rockers with a lash adjuster between the rocker arm and valve tip.

In your case, the lash adjuster failed hydraulically or got stuck, causing excessive clearance between the cam, rocker arm roller, and valve tip. That creates a hammering effect on the cam lobe and roller, because the roller is no longer held against the cam at zero lash as the lobe rotates. The eventual result is the erosion of the cam material visible in your photos.

With the damage to the cam, it will wear on the new rocker arm roller and both will eventually fail. It will also cause metal debris to end up in the cylinder head, which will cause further issues. The cam should definitely be replaced, along with any other damaged rockers. It’s a big job since the timing cover and chains need to be removed, but at that mileage it wouldn’t be a bad idea to replace the chain/guides/tensioners while you’re in there anyway.
Thank you for the info. Thats kinda what i was assuming. Thats my plan. Talked to a mechanic today quoted around 1600 to 1800 for labor.