High mileage owners please check in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tango_9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turned 100k, sorry no pic. Good truck, third set of tires, replaced the shocks with two sets of low mileage used, new set and spark plug change tomorrow. Had the starter changed out at 50k ( grinding ever so often when starting ) New fuel pump and sending unit at 60k under warranty, damn truck stalled out at 80 mph in front of a semi, ass grabbing time. Replaced both idler pullies 10k ago. Still on second set of brake pads. Had three iwe’s replaced. It’s a scab, had to fix the rear door latch and replace both rear speakers, something is wrong with the rear speaker harnesses. Ready for a transmission flush and differential grease change. I plan on running it another 100k.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chains stretch and guides wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed:

Any moving part in an engine will eventually wear, and this includes timing chains. There are two types of chains commonly used in automotive engines.

The link type, which consists of many small links riveted together in a flexible endless chain, used to be most common.

Many manufacturers now use roller chains, similar to a bicycle chain. Many roller chains use single width rollers but some use two rollers side by side, and these are called a ‘double roller chain.’

Back in the 1970s, we could expect a link type chain to last about 160,000 km before it would become worn enough to require replacement.

Stop and go driving or sudden acceleration, dirty oil and high valve spring pressures (typically found in performance vehicles) caused more wear and required chain replacement sooner.

Roller chain life expectancy also depends on load, oil quality and chain size. I have seen chains wear in as little as 30,000 km but most could easily go for the life of the engine.

The good news is that a timing chain almost never fails — it just wears so it becomes ‘stretched.’

Roller chains use a chain tensioner to keep the chain from slapping around, but if the chain becomes too worn, the tensioner can’t control the movement and you can hear a rattling sound from inside the engine as it idles.

You also may notice less low rpm power and lower fuel economy, but high speed power will actually improve!

Unlike timing belts, which have recommended mileage change intervals, there are no recommendations for changing timing chains.

If you hear a rattling or knocking sound from your engine, it may be caused by a worn timing chain and the mechanic will recommend it be changed after diagnosing that it is the chain causing the noise.

The chain tensioner and guides are usually changed at the same time. Keep clean oil in your engine and the chain may last for the life of the engine.

Kerm029

Reaction score
I'm currently at 121k miles and only problem I had was the rack and pinion. As of now that's is...I'll keep my fingers crossed. FYI very limited off road action though, my main use is towing the boat on weekends and cruising. Love the truck though!!

40oz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit 200k - CV Boot seal is leaking and I have a slight exhaust leak from the driver side manifold. Other than that top notch.