High Gear/Higher Speed/Higher Load Stutter on Acceleration Possible Tune Related

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to get your thoughts on this somewhat annoying issues I'm having. Basically as the title suggests, I am seeing some stuttering (almost sounds like very mild missing or vibration during acceleration) in higher gears 8-10 (RPM 1900-2100) when under some heavy load. I came across this first while under cruise control at 80 mph around some hilly terrain. I can cruise at 80 and when I would get to a mild to medium hill in 9th or 10th gear,, the RPMs and boost would slowly climb and start to vibrate or stutter a bit starting around 13ish psi up to 18-19 psi. If the hill was too big the truck would down shift and there would be no problem. I can replicate this feeling by putting the truck in M9 and getting to higher load. If going on a perfectly flat road or slightly down hill, I don't really feel it. During this my tuner doesn't show any misfire or abnormal knock or anything obvious.

Now for the truck details. Its 17 with 54K miles. Plugs were changed 2k miles back with SP578 plugs. The truck is tuned (engine and trans) and when I flash to the stock tune, I am 95% sure the problem doesn't exist or is so subtle it's unnoticeable. However, I haven't driven it a ton on the stock tune so I'm putting 95% sure. Also may be worth mentioning, I am on 37s (Yokohama MTs).

Any ideas? I am thinking of swapping to colder plugs (Ford Performance SP542 replacements). But I also read about 03'Darin's issues with something that sounds similar in the past that sounds that boiled down to rapid PCM adjustments to the throttle position under high load even with constant pedal input.

Now I may just try some of those plugs since its a cheap try and don't really lose anything. I don't necessarily want to mention the tune company as I don't want this in anyway lead to feedback towards them. But it is a well known tune on here. I am working with them as it's custom to the truck.

Last edited:

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to get your thoughts on this somewhat annoying issues I'm having. Basically as the title suggests, I am seeing some stuttering (almost sounds like very mild missing or vibration during acceleration) in higher gears 8-10 (RPM 1900-2100) when under some heavy load. I came across this first while under cruise control at 80 mph around some hilly terrain. I can cruise at 80 and when I would get to a mild to medium hill in 9th or 10th gear,, the RPMs and boost would slowly climb and start to vibrate or stutter a bit starting around 13ish psi up to 18-19 psi. If the hill was too big the truck would down shift and there would be no problem. I can replicate this feeling by putting the truck in M9 and getting to higher load. If going on a perfectly flat road or slightly down hill, I don't really feel it. During this my tuner doesn't show any misfire or abnormal knock or anything obvious.

Now for the truck details. Its 17 with 54K miles. Plugs were changed 2k miles back with SP578 plugs. The truck is tuned (engine and trans) and when I flash to the stock tune, I am 95% sure the problem doesn't exist or is so subtle it's unnoticeable. However, I haven't driven it a ton on the stock tune so I'm putting 95% sure. Also may be worth mentioning, I am on 37s (Yokohama MTs).

Any ideas? I am thinking of swapping to colder plugs (Ford Performance SP542 replacements). But I also read about 03'Darin's issues with something that sounds similar in the past that sounds that boiled down to rapid PCM adjustments to the throttle position under high load even with constant pedal input.

Now I may just try some of those plugs since its a cheap try and don't really lose anything. I don't necessarily want to mention the tune company as I don't want this in anyway lead to feedback towards them. But it is a well known tune on here. I am working with them as it's custom to the truck.

Well known and custom, might be easy to figure who tuner is! Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Last edited:

dc1gator

Reaction score
What tune does it happen in? I have experienced limp mode in 87 daily.

When it happens I have to stop, turn the ignition off, wait 30 seconds, start the engine and everything is fine. This only happens in 87 daily. I have had the tune changed and it didn't help.

I either run stock or 87 performance most of the time with no problems.

One thing of note is that it rarely happened and most of the time it was on a wet road or after washing the truck and always during acceleration.

OP
OP
S

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tune does it happen in? I have experienced limp mode in 87 daily.

When it happens I have to stop, turn the ignition off, wait 30 seconds, start the engine and everything is fine. This only happens in 87 daily. I have had the tune changed and it didn't help.

I either run stock or 87 performance most of the time with no problems.

One thing of note is that it rarely happened and most of the time it was on a wet road or after washing the truck and always during acceleration.

It happens in a 91 octane tune (stage 1). Stuck with 91 here in the desert. But yeah no other symptoms other than this stutter/vibration that almost feels like driving over those tar filled cracks in asphalt.

Thats the frustrating part that I don't have a way to track it other than feel. Maybe some wiggle in the RPM curve. We recently looked at the stock vs tune logs again and the tune is way healthier for knock/timing with no misfire on either. Like I'm wondering if its maybe transmission (unrelated to tune just a characteristic of the current state of the truck) or something something weird.