High Amperage Light Bar Wired Into Up-Fitter Switch (DIY Custom Harness)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdsc

Reaction score
Alright so I ran into an issue trying to install a Baja Designs OnX6 Light Bar recently. The biggest amperage switch on the GEN2's is 15 amps. My light bar is 21 amps. So after some research, and a whole lotta help from 4x4TruckLEDs.com (Seriously this gent helped me put this altogether and I didn't even get the light from him, amazing customer service! He's got a customer in me now.)

So, here’s the deal. For those of you that don't know you can still run a higher amperage light via the up-fitter switches, you just have to install a relay in between. Essentially the up-fitter switch powers the relay, and the relay powers the light.

The Baja Designs OnX6 Light Bar also has a mode selection feature. High, Low, and Strobe. To utilize this feature I installed a second relay and tied this relay into my 6th Up-fitter switch. So with the light on (Aux #1) I can then toggle my Aux #6 switch to control the mode selection. If I toggle it twice (ON then OFF) the light switches to Low Beam, toggle twice again (ON then OFF) back to High Beam. If I toggle it three times (ON then OFF then ON) it switches to the Strobe function...

Pretty cool right?

Here's what you need...

1. (2) 40/30 AMP - 12 Volt Relay's (Assuming Your Light Bar is Under 30 AMPS)
2. 12 Gauge In-Line Fuse Holder
3. 25 AMP Fuse (Again Dependant on Your Light Bar's AMPS)
4. 4 Feet of 12 Gauge Wire
5. Various Crimp Connection Ends
6. Various Sizes of Heat Shrink
7. Zip Ties

That's pretty much it, install time for me took about 2 hours. But I took my time, I drew out my diagram on a white board and triple-checked all my connections. I used heat shrink to seal up all my connection points as well.

Diagram pictures attached below. Hopefully this helps others.

Cheers,

Main Relay.jpg

Toggle Relay.jpg

Last edited:

cfwilk

Reaction score
RDSC - had to say thanks and that's an understatement. I have a 40" BD OnX6 Arc Racer and several other pairs of squadrons and 10" as well as a 20" Rigid all for front and back ADD Honeybadger bumper. Anyway - after getting NO harnesses with lights because I didn't know BD did that (Rigid which I have several of on my Jeep supplies harnesses), I spent 20 min on phone with BD and spent another $232 for harnesses for 7 BD lights including the 40". Then spent many hours on and off for clear and knowledgeable advice on connecting to my 2018 Rator up fitter switches - AMAZINGLY BAD info out there! Until I found YOUR post - dude thanks - I bought the relays and in-line fuse, - had wire and clips, etc. - my 40" working perfectly on Switch 1 for On/Off and Switch 6 for Dim/Strobe. I can't say thanks enough.

sp2pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rdsc,
So did you remove the weatherpack connector off of the lightbar and put new single ones on for the white and green wires?
I just received my onx6+ lightbar, with two harnesses(neither have green wire) and a confusing set of directions.

If one didn't want to utilize the hi/low/strobe function, that wire coming out of the light bar can just be taped up?

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good write up. Quick question? Couldn't you just change out the relay and cirutbreaker feeding the up fitter from the battery... such as put a 40amp and not have to have one in your wire?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good write up. Quick question? Couldn't you just change out the relay and cirutbreaker feeding the up fitter from the battery... such as put a 40amp and not have to have one in your wire?

Technically yes... but you run the risk of the wire melting before the fuse pops. Your fuses are rated for 2 things...

1) The amperage your device requires
2) The gauge of the wire

So if the wire is a thin 22 gauge you cannot put a 40amp fuse on it... you'll melt the wire first before the fuse pops.

So you SHOULD NOT just change the fuses out on the upfitters.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 4x4LEDS. Electricity is dark magic and I dont understand it. Guess I'll be following this guide for my onx6+.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Think of it like plumbing... where amperage is your water pressure and gauge is the size of the pipe.

If you have 100PSI of water pressure that goes through a 1" pipe without issues you can think of the 100PSI as say a 40amp circuit and the 1" pipe is equivalent to say a 10AWG wire (the smaller the AWG the thicker the wire).

Now if you take that 100PSI/40Amp circuit and try and push it through a 1/8" pipe now (call it a 22AWG wire) what do you think will happen? BOOM right? Same idea here... only your pipes/wire is gonna blow up before the pump knows to turn off (aka, the fuse blowing).