HID Questions - help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeldarbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello --

I'm new here, but I've been searching around a lot and haven't found answers to my questions. If I've missed these answers somewhere please let me know.

Me - I'm a lighting noob. I know very little past bulb types and colors, haha.

I've been searching around trying to find answers to a very specific question:

Can I convert my HID headlights to LED? Not just the bulb - the whole headlight assembly.
And if so, what does that entail?

My 2014 came with factory HIDs. I've seen videos online of people doing similar conversions, but they're other vehicles so the details of the conversion are rarely useful.

If this is a bad idea - please let me know. Like I said - I'm a total noob when it comes to lighting. I would like to know if it's possible and how to do it because I've been searching for quite a while and now I just want to know the answers regardless of if I actually convert mine.

Just so we're clear- I already understand that HIDs seem to be widely considered better or more sought after than LED headlights, and I know people spend a lot of money retrofitting their truck with HIDs. I'm fine keeping mine if that's going to be best, but now that I've searched for so long, I really want to know if it's possible to convert from HID to LED, and if it is, how to do it.

Thanks in advance - this forum has already been incredibly helpful!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yeldarbraptor

Yeldarbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the HID, they produce more heat and will keep from icing over in snow storms.

Thanks for the response, B E N! That's a good point - I've definitely driven through some storms where ice was a problem in general.

Being that the HIDs are high voltage, should I make sure to get a nicer battery and/or upgraded alternator to run them?

Thanks!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, B E N! That's a good point - I've definitely driven through some storms where ice was a problem in general.

Being that the HIDs are high voltage, should I make sure to get a nicer battery and/or upgraded alternator to run them?

Thanks!
hid lights take more power on initial startup, but require less power to run than halogens

Woodsy23

Reaction score
I’m trying to find this information as well. I don’t want to spend $1500+ on morimotos. I don’t drive in snowstorms etc - live in Texas. There are some cheaper housing options via eBay/amazon, but most only “work with Halogen setups”. I’m trying to convert my system to LED.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I built a set of gen1 halogen lights into hid projectors.. it was one of the best upgrades.. it was a big project that took a ton of hours.. they came out really nice..

Looking back I probably should have got a set of the gen1 hid lights and upgraded bulbs and ballasts..

I went with 55w 5500k morimoto equipment and they were great, except the hid controller that had some corrosion issues so it was necessary to keep a spare on hand...

20190420_172149.jpg
20200208_162212.jpg