GEN 1 Hi there, anybody try blac bear pass in Colorado? Any videos? I would like to try it but I would like some help. Thanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done Black Bear many times in my JK. Im sure you can do it in a raptor but a couple if those switchbacks will be 5 point turns for you. There is one that is a 3 point turn in a JK. I remember someone back a few years ago that did it in their gen1. I remember seeing pictures of it on here. Might search for it.
Have you ever been down Black Bear in any vehical before?

OP
OP
GeorgeVonKuttruff
Reaction score
I have done Black Bear many times in my JK. Im sure you can do it in a raptor but a couple if those switchbacks will be 5 point turns for you. There is one that is a 3 point turn in a JK. I remember someone back a few years ago that did it in their gen1. I remember seeing pictures of it on here. Might search for it.
Have you ever been down Black Bear in any vehical before?
No, I never had the chance to do it. I was concern for the narrow passes and turns but I think I can make it based on what you told me

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used to want to do Black Bear in the raptor until I saw a couple videos of vehicles coming down the wrong way... That's a long fall...

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Newbies are constantly doing stupid stuff on Black Bear. A Bronco rolled down it last summer. Countless Jeeps have rolled down it. Be aware, it is typically one of the last trails in CO to open due to snow. With the lack of snowfall so far this year, who knows when it'll open.

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newbies are constantly doing stupid stuff on Black Bear. A Bronco rolled down it last summer. Countless Jeeps have rolled down it. Be aware, it is typically one of the last trails in CO to open due to snow. With the lack of snowfall so far this year, who knows when it'll open.

I'm planning on heading back there in May. It sounds like the passes will be open by then, barring late snowfall.

OP, I have a friend that lives in Montrose as my tour guide. He told me no way to Black Bear in my Raptor SCAB. YMMV.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have done it several times in several vehicles. The Raptor is a little wide, but if you are an experienced off road driver and not terribly afraid of heights, you can do it. You should let a spotter help you through some of the spots. 4 low going down for control.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm planning on heading back there in May. It sounds like the passes will be open by then, barring late snowfall.

OP, I have a friend that lives in Montrose as my tour guide. He told me no way to Black Bear in my Raptor SCAB. YMMV.
I've never heard of it being open anywhere even remotely close to May. More like August, July if you are lucky. Yes, snowfall is low so far... but not THAT low.

I'm taking my Jeep on it this year, but the Raptor will hang back. COULD you do it? Yeah, but I don't want to.