Helped unflip a Jeep today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It appears that kinetic and static energy is confusing. So how should of it been done? What would you use? Punch it over with your front bumper?

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The yellow one was a 10,000lb tow strap—not a kinetic strap. Flipping the Jeep was easy. Actually didn’t use that strap in the photo. Used a recovery strap w loop ends, but that tow strap would have been fine on that little Jeep.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always wonder about the motor on a car that has been sitting upside down for any longer then 30 seconds or so. Doesnt all the oil drain out the top end of the motor, and foul the plugs or injectors?

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We waited about 10 minutes to fire it up after we flipped it over, thinking the same thing. We checked the engine oil level to make sure it was in the pan, and it read full. Started right up. Some tranny fluid came out while it was flipped, but that was it...well, besides the crushed roof, windshield, fenders, bent control arms, one completely ripped off, and a bunch of other crap that probably adds up to a totaled Jeepster.

But "I WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND. ROLLING--IT'S A JEEP THING."

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I always wonder about the motor on a car that has been sitting upside down for any longer then 30 seconds or so. Doesnt all the oil drain out the top end of the motor, and foul the plugs or injectors?

You are right to wonder.
About 2 months prior to Snowmageddon, I had a shoulder rebuilt. I hadn’t been cleared for that level of abuse yet, so with an impending snow I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a snow blower. With a few days lead time, I figured I had plenty of time, after all, there was still milk, bread and toilet paper available in abundance. What started out as a lunch time run to the local home improvement store turned into an Odyssey, and after a few tortuous hours, I managed to cajole the last floor model snow blower available in 20 miles, and probably a lot more. After explaining my recent surgery, they kindly helped me stuff this assembled ‘blower into my station wagon. It would only fit on its side. I tipped them and was on my way. Stupidly, I unloaded the doggone thing myself but luckily didn’t cause any permanent harm. I brought the books inside to read up on prep / assembly.

Only Lowes put oil in the tank, just no gas - so when I checked I thought to myself “Ruh roh Shaggy”. 10 pulls later, not even a sign of life. No problem says I, I’ve got electric start. Plugged in and hit the button 10 seconds at a time for what seemed like an eternity. stages of grief set in, and back to pull start. Ouch- that’s right, use the other arm. After just under an hour, it kicked over and fired one time, but didn’t start.
Encouraged, I kept at it and after a few more pulls it sputtered to life.

Spewing oil out the exhaust right on to my really clean ZX14. It was a smokey affair for a while but eventually the idle settled down and she ran like a top.

Fun fact: Toro red is exactly the same shade as Ducati red used on the 1198.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are right to wonder.
About 2 months prior to Snowmageddon, I had a shoulder rebuilt. I hadn’t been cleared for that level of abuse yet, so with an impending snow I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a snow blower. With a few days lead time, I figured I had plenty of time, after all, there was still milk, bread and toilet paper available in abundance. What started out as a lunch time run to the local home improvement store turned into an Odyssey, and after a few tortuous hours, I managed to cajole the last floor model snow blower available in 20 miles, and probably a lot more. After explaining my recent surgery, they kindly helped me stuff this assembled ‘blower into my station wagon. It would only fit on its side. I tipped them and was on my way. Stupidly, I unloaded the doggone thing myself but luckily didn’t cause any permanent harm. I brought the books inside to read up on prep / assembly.

Only Lowes put oil in the tank, just no gas - so when I checked I thought to myself “Ruh roh Shaggy”. 10 pulls later, not even a sign of life. No problem says I, I’ve got electric start. Plugged in and hit the button 10 seconds at a time for what seemed like an eternity. stages of grief set in, and back to pull start. Ouch- that’s right, use the other arm. After just under an hour, it kicked over and fired one time, but didn’t start.
Encouraged, I kept at it and after a few more pulls it sputtered to life.

Spewing oil out the exhaust right on to my really clean ZX14. It was a smokey affair for a while but eventually the idle settled down and she ran like a top.

Fun fact: Toro red is exactly the same shade as Ducati red used on the 1198.

I just had shoulder surgery on Nov 5th. Rotor Cup and Bicep complete tear. Have a brand new snow blower in the garage. You're braver than me. I'm still waiting to try it out...LOL! :)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, that was an expensive day, but well worth it. I still have that snowblower, it ran for years without a hitch, until a sheared off the worm gear in some heavy wet snow years later. I bought a spare unit and got the replacement part. For Snowmageddon, I got my full driveway plowed, 3 full neighbor driveways and part of another. Shoulder fine the whole time.