Helped unflip a Jeep today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Wow, glad they're alright, awesome work getting it back upright.

Sorry to be that guy...and I'm not exactly super-experienced...but I gotta say it... that kind of strap is super dangerous (deadly). If it comes loose all the force that was pulling on a 5,000lb vehicle can accelerate that 5lb hook to a couple-hundred mph. Can go through doors, seats, heads, etc.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, glad they're alright, awesome work getting it back upright.

Sorry to be that guy...and I'm not exactly super-experienced...but I gotta say it... that kind of strap is super dangerous (deadly). If it comes loose all the force that was pulling on a 5,000lb vehicle can accelerate that 5lb hook to a couple-hundred mph. Can go through doors, seats, heads, etc.

Good to know. So being a newbie, how should it be done?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The integrated metal hooks are the issue with those straps. If you look at one up close, the metal loop the strap passes through is very thin and those hooks are junk. If you are around seasoned wheelers, they will tell you to put it away, or throw it in the trash.

If it's all you have, wrap a towel around the hooks, should one of them break, that will knock down most of the stored energy. Same goes with using a winch, we always wrap a towel around the cable.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well it looks like a tow strap, not a recovery strap. By the width better than 10000 pounds. Twice the weight of the jeep. The comments from the peanut gallery are humoris.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much stored energy is in a tow strap? About the same as a chain. Or a cable