help with upgrading to touch screen navigation system

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1]' started by Jacksonwilburn4, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Jacksonwilburn4

Jacksonwilburn4 Member

Wow this looks great it nearly looks stock what dash kit is this?

2. Fred

Fred FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

So is the kenwood Maestro kit the only one that allows one to retain the Sync interface?

3. Stang

Stang Full Access Member

As far as I know there are only 2 dash kits for F150. The Scosche one from Amazon which I have wrapped in white carbon fiber in my pic a few posts up. Crutchfield provides the other one but can't remember the brand name. It has an extra trim piece around the radio. Can't tell if that pic directly above is that one or Scosche. You can get either one wrapped in anything you want. Google Mark Wu at Wu! Wraps

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. cbs001

cbs001 Full Access Member

That was a custom job. I now have the Alpine dash kit and it also looks stock. I will get a pic later today.

5. cbs001

cbs001 Full Access Member

Here is the Alpine

Attached Files:

6. The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company aka nosbusa Supporting Vendor

alpine makes the perfect fit kit. itis specifically for their 8" screen. the cost of the kitis around $300. both metra and scosche make a standard kit for a double din. they are around $30. metra however has come out with a new dash kit for the 13 and up f150's. it also runs around $400 i think.

also have to add, wont work if you have the oem nav unit. only if you have the 4.2" screen

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  7. cups

cups FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a couple questions. I like this idea, but on the fence.
    First, how is the nav system in these compared to the Lowrance, garmin or iPhone/iPad apps? How do you get updates? Are updates costly?

Why would I want to preserve Sync? What does it do foe me and don't the replacement systems have comparable voice activation?

8. Maxx2893

Maxx2893 Rock and Roll Offroad Supporting Member

I believe the main reason is to keep the steering wheel controls for the radio.

cups likes this.
  9. The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company aka nosbusa Supporting Vendor

you can get steering wheel controls for aftermarket units, however some features may or may not be available. some vehicles have buttons that can not be reprogrammed bmw is the first one that comes to mind. one button cant be programmed on certain models.

all nav units will eventually need map updates. kenwood uses garmin and i think they are free to update. pioneer, alpine, clarion, etc, they all require a disc to purchase for the update. and they do get expensive. around $150-$200 depending on the unit. the aftermarket systems we are talking about are turn by turn navigation systems, very similiar to what you can do on your phone, however, pushing buttons on you nav screen is legal, pushing buttons on your phone is not. and with the audio integrated in the sound system,you arent stuck with trying to hear the directions through the tiny speakers on you phone.

cups likes this.